What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Clean" but not green Smoke Install in a RV-7/6/9

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Well, you can only fight the peer pressure so long and then you just give up?.. :rolleyes: soooo? I had to get a smoke system because everyone else in the MidSouth RV group has one except me! And, yes .... I would jump off the cliff if everyone else did too :)

Installed in Baggage area behind co-pilot seat.

img_2014_04_06_170746_03-13444007.jpg

System can be easily removed as a unit..

img_2014_04_06_190724_01-15923203.jpg

This was cut way back to 3/8 open.... that's plenty and it's clean ...... but not green ;)

img_2014_04_13_211244_01-51360731.jpg

Link to detailed install picture album. http://kvisit.com/ai7Ee

Video Test Run at 3/8 open ( it?s iPhone video but you get the idea) http://vimeo.com/91884225

Anyway, I had a lot of concerns about lost baggage space, mess in the airplane, oil on the belly, etc. and was able to work with Marvin Homsley of Homsley Smoke systems to design a tank that would fit inside my RV7a baggage area without taking up any useful room. It works the same in the RV6 and 9 as well. We were able to get a 4 gallon tank built that mounts on the seat cross bar and locks into the seat belt brackets on the floor. It effectively fills the back of the passenger seat area which is most often unused. The pump is mounted on the tank itself, high and out of the way, and I used industrial quick connects on the oil lines so that you could easily remove the whole assembly in less than 5 minutes with no fuss and most importantly to me?. No mess! And just so you know, Marvin hangars his Swift (soon to be an RV) here at KORK so working on it was pretty convenient.

The kit in its? present form (?) comes with armored lines in front of the firewall, fan-spray injectors which he also sells through Aircraft Spruce, clamps, oil line, all required hardware including wire and switches, and a heavy smooth operating oil flow control valve. I think he also sources the oil line quick disconnects but you can get them at any farm/ag store. The only thing I had to supply was two plastic grommets and about a weekend to put it in. I could have done it in an afternoon while it was open for the condition inspection but wanted to paint the tank. It comes in polished aluminum.

So, here is the install report in bullet form.

1) It was very easy to install (I built the airplane as well). I would guess the average person would take a full day including running all the lines.
2) We put the injectors on Cylinders 1 & 4. This provides for maximum burn with the longest time in the pipes. You don?t need 4 injectors.
3) The firewall pass through was at the bottom right side and worked nicely around the engine mount.
4) The armored lines FWF took about 30 minutes to cut and install. Thinking about it takes an hour :rolleyes: Rubber lines behind the firewall.
5) The injectors simply require a ? inch hole in the exhaust pipe as close to the cylinder as you can get it. 2-3 inches is fine.
6) You have to figure out where you want to route the line from the tank though/over the spar to the firewall. You pick what works for you.
7) I ran the lines through and down under the gear mount, along the lower floor panels and it?s a very clean install.
8) The heavy duty pump is designed to run petroleum products and draws max 7 amps.
9) I planned mine to have the oil control valve accessible in the cockpit. I really like that now that I have used it.

Test Report

1) At 1 turn open, it produces a HUGE amount of smoke but leaves oil on the belly.
2) At 3/8 turn open, it produces really good smoke and virtually no oil on the belly after a total five minute burn(s).
3) At ? turn open, it produces good smoke and no oil on the belly.
4) No leaks, quick clean install, and it just works?.
5) I ?think? but don?t know for sure on the oil consumption but I ?think? it to be between 1.5 to 2 quarts per minute at 3/8 open.

Hope this helps and would like to recommend the system as well. Marvin loves to talk about smoke systems even just to give free advice. He also sells parts and pieces to make up your own as well as having his kits available from Spruce.

If you want more info, I recommend you just call Marvin direct? feel free just to call and ask him for advice.

His phone number is 419 360-7414 and here is a link to his website http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/

Lots of good info on smoke systems.

Hope this helps someone ?. Never thought I would take up smoking but it?s not so bad :)

Bill

Last edited:
Good write up Bill. I am entertaining the idea of adding smoke on my 7 after i get it flying. What are you planning to use for smoke oil and where do you get it?

look at me

What is it with the smoke? You all flying airshows or do you just have a "look at me" thing going on?

What is it with the smoke? You all flying airshows or do you just have a "look at me" thing going on?

Paul,
For a lot of folks, it's a safety thing. When the other guy in the pattern ( or along the same route as you, etc.) keeps saying "I can't see you", a little bit of smoke helps a lot.

Bill,
Nice post, and looks like a really neat install. Thanks.

Surree....

Sure that's the reason :D

AND...that's why we have all those cool military style, airbrushed tail art, custom pearl enhancing, high visibility, blended, polished, and triple clear coated paint jobs. It's not at all about Type A guys and girls with "high T".... it's just a visibility/safety thing :cool:

Of course it is ..... I can see Paul Dye in TSAM from miles away :rolleyes: that is when the crowd around the airplane thins out :)

Safety, it's about safety..... I've been looking for some way to explain that $900 expense to my wife ..... that's my new story and I'm sticking to it ! ;)

safety

OK a safety thing. I'm going to install a smoke system on my car. That way I'll never have a accident.

A mid-80s Chrysler will do it. The minivans are especially effective as mosquito foggers.

And by the way, Bill.... thanks for the write-up and pictures. I had thought about smoke, but if I did it I'd want to make sure I could remove it when needed for extra space and weight savings. Your system is exactly what I had in mind, so it's nice to know it can be done and SEE how it can be done.

I love VAF.

Questions

Hello Bill,

I am french and purchased a Marvin smoke system too. I am going to install it and have some questions :

-Can you tell me how you install the pump on the tank ? I suppose you weld it ?

-Do you have more pictures about your installation (the path of the pump pipe from the pump to the firewall.)

-I saw you installed a quick disconnect system. What do you think about that after using ?

I'll put some picture of mine when finish.

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Marvin's site

Hello Sylvain,

If you go to Marvin's site, he has listings for many optional parts to assist with oil line routing and a kit to secure the pump to the tank.

http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/individual-parts/

In a separate conversation, Marvin also suggested Gorilla Brand two sided tape to secure the mounting bars to the tank. This would be instead of the Scotch Weld listed in the sub-kit.

Good luck,

Smoke Tank

Good write up.
I edited this as I was responding to someone who was no longer a member of the forum…have to check the date son these posts!

Last edited:
Smoke systems

We have 5 airplanes with systems installed at our airport. We use them for mosquitoes and weed control..lol!

Back