What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tank sealant

dspender

Well Known Member
I placed the trailing edge and foam ribs in the trailing edge of my elevators. I clecoed an angle iron of aluminum to the trailing edge to keep it straight as I let the tank sealant set. Will I have difficulty removing the angle iron of aluminum from the elevator skin after things set for a few days. I did not placed any type of tape or wax on the angle iron before placing it in contact with the skin and tank sealant.

I never had any problem either. I still LOL when I hear so many people call "alum. angle" , angle iron of alum. We are so use to calling that shape angle Iron rather than just angle.

Vasoline

Dennis, you probably will be okay, but may have to due some slicing to get it off the angle when completely cured. The proseal is tough stuff. I don't remember the original thread, but another builder suggested smearing a very thin layer of vasoline on the angle prior to clecoing (and proseal spooging out). It works perfectly, and you really don't need to use much.

If you can pry the "angle iron of alum" (couldnt resist) up just a little bit, pour some MEK in there and let it set for about 10 minutes, then try and pry it up.

Well I got nervous the night I secured the trailing edge with the angle of aluminum and couldn't wait for reassurance. So I got out of bed and removed the clecos and the angle of aluminum and reclecoed the trailing edge. I then fell fast asleep. Everything is straight so far. Now I will work not to mess it up as I begin to rivet the edge.

Back