Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Jeff,
They are both nearly perfectly suited to your (current) mission. As a buyer, you will be perfectly happy with a good example of either that you can actually get your hands on. Beware, when you get your hands on an RV, your aviation perspective will definitely change.

When we built our -9a, we had one very low time pilot to bring up to speed, and she knew what she wanted. It has taken us to the ends of the earth and provided experiences that we never could have imagined. Our aviation perspective grew with those experiences.

The important part, I think, is not to get too stuck on the details of -7 vs -9. Do something as soon as reasonable, because it will blow your mind .
Hopefully you mean itíll change for the best :-)

Iíve heard the only drawback, even though itís slight, is the nose gear. But Iím reading all I can about.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
I am far more interested in stability and ease of control. Especially when my girlfriend is with me, and she will be with me on most of my trips.

Believe it or not, the main missions I do are simple. A group of us fly to breakfast on Sunday mornings. Other than that, it’s taking friends and family on their first flights. I want to expand to vacationing. I’ve only self flown vacationed once and that was to the Bahamas. Pretty darned cool and I wanna do more of that. It seems the RV’s are the most affordable way to accomplish that, plus everyone seems to really enjoy flying them.
Investigate useful load of these RVs...that can vary a lot depending on how it’s equipped. Full fuel with my wife, and her suitcase for a Bahamas vacation would leave me with the ability to take a laptop and a shaving kit.

I’m exaggerating. A little.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Investigate useful load of these RVs...that can vary a lot depending on how itís equipped. Full fuel with my wife, and her suitcase for a Bahamas vacation would leave me with the ability to take a laptop and a shaving kit.

Iím exaggerating. A little.
Exaggerating aside, I carry just as much as the 7 friends I fly with whenever we fly together to OSH. Useful load is a non-factor when comparing the 7 and 9.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 10-25-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
I am far more interested in stability and ease of control. Especially when my girlfriend is with me, and she will be with me on most of my trips.

Believe it or not, the main missions I do are simple. A group of us fly to breakfast on Sunday mornings. Other than that, itís taking friends and family on their first flights. I want to expand to vacationing. Iíve only self flown vacationed once and that was to the Bahamas. Pretty darned cool and I wanna do more of that. It seems the RVís are the most affordable way to accomplish that, plus everyone seems to really enjoy flying them.
I wish I lived closer to you. I would love to come over and give you a ride and observe your ďRV GRINĒ. That grin comes from the ďstability and ease of controlĒ. Honestly, all RVs have those feels. The 9 is very docile for sure. I do think it is more so than the 7 but by no means by saying so would I say it is less responsive than a 7. It is the responsiveness that defines how an RV feels. The 9 has that responsiveness in droves.

Hopefully someone who lives near by you will chime in to this thread and give you that ride I would love to give you.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 10-25-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
Exaggerating aside, I carry just as much as the 7 friends I fly with whenever we fly together to OSH. Useful load is a non-factor when comparing the 7 and 9.
Well, that's true 7 vs 9 the same relative to useful load. In that regard, I would neither confirm nor deny that I haven't exceeded GW on occasion. I will say that I have as much passenger space and more luggage space in my RV-9A than in the car that I drive in non-winter months.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:53 PM

If you are interested in a flight in an RV 9A Iíd be more than happy to come down to Culpepper and give you an opportunity to sit and fly in mine. Iím based out of Carroll County airport in Maryland and thatís about 35 to 40 minutes away from where you are. Send me a PM with your contact information and I will give you a call to make arrangements to give you a flight In my 9A.

Steve
N424JK
900 hr+
Old 10-25-2020, 10:16 PM

7 has higher wing loading so slightly better ride in turbulence...9 more stable in roll and the easiest airplane I've flown.

Both are great airplanes...can't go wrong with either one. If budget is a consideration then I would look at both and find one with most value to you.

I can tell you I thought my -9a was slow compared to Van's numbers but found out that I had a static source error and now I'm within 2 mph of Vans numbers.

I went through the same decision making process and ultimately it was only a 6 min difference in my commute and that was WOT burning lots of gas.
2019-2021 Dues Paid
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Jeff,
When I started looking I was set on an RV-9 because I knew that I wouldnít do aerobatics and I wanted a tail dragger. I looked at several very nice planes traveling all over the country. I expanded my search to include 6s & 7s, then expanded my search to include nose gear models.

I was becoming a bit frustrated not finding what I was looking for when a good friend (he built a 6) that flys tail wheels and knew that I preferred a tail wheel model, recommend that I look at a 6A built by a gentleman in Washington State.

I was skeptical because it was not what I thought that I was looking for. However, after seeing the aircraft and meeting the builder, I realized that this aircraft would meet my mission and I felt confident that it was a great build (Iím not a builder).

I purchased that aircraft in July of 2015 and every time I walk into the hangar and see that plane I smile. My point is do not limit yourself to one model because they are all great! Donít limit your search, but rather look for a good engine/prop combo and a quality build.

Normally I fly by myself on short trips for fun, however Iíve flown long cross country with my wife and the aircraft meets both missions well.

Good luck on your search.
Pat

Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 AM

You have selected the right brand of homebuilt. 6, 7, 9 A or not, you will enjoy it greatly.

I love my 9a, my wife is learning to fly in it. You can't go wrong.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 AM

If you can fly a 9 you can fly a7. The 7 is faster and has a better climb rate assuming a 180 hp engine in place of the 160. It has a higher approach speed. It is more responsive and lighter on the stick.