What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to see when visiting Las Vegas?

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Our son is getting married in Oklahoma City Dec 17, and my brother and his family will be with us arriving this Monday from South Africa. We plan to fly them to Las Vegas (commercial), and plan to take a day trip (by road) to the Canyons on Wednesday.
Where should we take them? What are the best places to see?
We have been told that the Hoover Dam is not that much to see??!!
Chopper flights would be nice, but very expensive from Las Vegas (we are too many). Are there short flights operating from the canyon that we can take down to the bottom and back?
Where would you go if you were in our shoes?
Thanks.
Johan

Things to do

The Hoover Dam is cool to stop at and look. If you take the Dam tour it makes it much more fun, interesting stuff to see and look at on the Dam Tour. I enjoyed it very much. Williams is a good place to stop and check out the town, it?s kind of a tourist place and has some good restaurants. Also the Grand Canyon Railway runs out of there. I don't know if it runs in the winter months or not. It?s going to be very cold at the canyon this time of year so dress warm. There is not much between Williams and the canyon. There is not a lot to see in Kingman so I would get gas there and just keep going. Some may argue with me on that, I just can't think of anything to see there. When you get into the park and since it is your first time going head straight for the Grand Canyon Village. That is one of the better places to see the canyon, also it has the Grand Canyon Hotel that you must go into and at least look around, very nice. I have never had a good meal at the canyon. I don?t now why, but the food there is not that good. Like you have heard before or maybe not, pictures do not do it justice. You have to see it to get the full experience of it. I was there this summer and if I remember right the entrance fee to get into the park is $25.00 a car. The airport has plenty of sight seeing tours running at the Canyon, you just need to stop there and ask.
Hope this helps a little. Have fun and don?t feed the bears.

In addition to Hoover Dam, the new highway bridge over the canyon just below the dam is spectacular. Another option is the platform/bridge whatever you want to call it, that hangs out over the edge of the canyon (S rim). N rim is spectacular as well and less populated, but very much more difficult to get to.

cheers,
greg

In addition to Hoover Dam, the new highway bridge over the canyon just below the dam is spectacular...

Here's a tip, though: The bridge is spectacular when seen from the dam, but don't expect to see the dam from the bridge if you're driving across. The K-rails on the bridge are so tall that you can't see any of the magnificent scenery unless you are in a truck or a very tall car.

Thanks, Bob K.

New Bridge

The new bridge saved me so much time getting out of Nevada. I have waited 2 hours before trying to get a crossed the river before the bridge. But like noted you don't see much from the bridge because the sides are so high. They tell me they are like that do to the height winds down that canyon. I have never been on the Skywalk before. The main reason is because it cost so much. I don't know the exact cost but I do believe it is over $75 per person. Seams like a lot to me so I have never been there. I bet it is amazing if you don't mind the cost.

Rent a spam can and visit Valle Airport, south of GNC. Get a rental car there. It's a privately owned field with nicely restored aircraft and cars in the FBO. Fly the SFR corridors for viewing the canyon. Flying into the canyon isn't all that big a deal in my book (I did it several times in the distant past). It's so vast, perspective is nothing more than a bunch of mesas and mountains than being in a hole.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Like others have said in this thread. I always enjoy Hoover Dam, the new bridge............as well as the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, and all the other magnificent views........that are out this way. The dam & tour is well worth it, if you have the time. It is quite a bit of driving to get from Vegas to the South rim of the Grand Canyon, but can still easily be done in a day.

L.Adamson

Thanks to all

Your responses are appreciated. Miemie and I flew the canyons in Sept and Bar Ten was the furthest west we got to. Had a fantastic time. We are looking forward to seeing Hoover dam and will try to do the dam tour. Grand Canyon village seems a little far for a day excursion. Skywalk is within reach.
Thanks again, and if I dont get to chat before, a blessed christmas to all.
Johan

Back