What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cee Baileys windows

togaflyer

Well Known Member
With plans to order the windows from Cee Baileys, I have color options. Clear, green tint, or grey tint. Having tinted windows seems the way to go, right, no, maybe. What about green vs grey tinting, any pros/con. This is what is great about building. So many choices.

color

Just as a matter of preference....I like the grey tinted ones better than the green. Whichever you choose, you cretainly ought to choose "tinted".

Do you intend to fly at night?

I have a dark canopy on my Rocket and recently had to make a X/C flight across the dark desert. It was like flying in an inkwell- completely self imposed IFR.

Next canopy will be "severe clear". I'll happily trade the style points of a tinted transparency for the comfort of actually being able to see where I'm going.

There have been studies on this, and my takeaway is that even in broad daylight, tint can reduce visual acuity.

FYI, the tint is hardly visible. It's really more of a light hue. I suspect there is little to no visual impact.

Clear for me. Better visibility in low light or night time conditions. Sunglasses or transition lenses for eye glasses during the day work great in the sun.

........................ Sunglasses or transition lenses for eye glasses during the day work great in the sun.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but IMHO, Transition Lenses (those that go dark when exposed to UV), don't darken under a plexiglas canopy. Reason: Plex filters out the UV that causes the transition lenses to go dark.

At least, mine don't!

Correct me if I am wrong here, but IMHO, Transition Lenses (those that go dark when exposed to UV), don't darken under a plexiglas canopy. Reason: Plex filters out the UV that causes the transition lenses to go dark.

At least, mine don't!

Mine darken just fine in my RV-10 using factory provided windows.

FYI...
The acrylic windows and windscreen supplied in the RV-10 kit are tinted.

I believe the tint value is is the maximum allowed by the FAA on normal category certificated aircraft.

All tinted aircraft windows are not created the same. My favorite are the solar grey tinted windows. The solar grey is a very light tint that basically just blocks UV light and glare, even at night I think the visibility is better with solar grey tint since the halo effect from bright lights seem to less, could be my imagination though. During the day the glare blocking of the solar grey is very noticeable.

The standard dark tint windows look great, but are too dark at night. I personally cant handle the green tint during the day without sun glasses.

I was also thinking on going clear for the sides windows and adding window tinting, non glue type. I did it on my old Saratoga side windows and it turn out well. Maybe going the grey windscreen and tinting the sides myself. I also think the green tint is off the table.

Back