What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about VANs

tsled

I'm New Here
Hiya all,

I am a newbie, I ordered an RV8 emp kit at the end of April, when I did the inventory I noticed I was missing Bag 618 and it said "B/O" on the sheet. I called VAN's and they said the bag of nuts and bolts would ship as soon as they got some bolts that were back ordered. Well that was over 3 months ago. I have E-mailed them and call them and they keep saying the same thing??? I know when I built my last plane I could order any bolt from Aircraft Spruce or Wicks and have them in 2 days? So my question is, is this "normal" for VAN's?

Tom...
:confused:

NO

No Tom it is not...
I have had excellent customer service from Vans every time I've had to order parts.
This is definetely an exception in my opinion.
Call back and speak to a manager and ask to get the full story.
I think you will find that you will be done right with this situation.
I cant imagine any emp parts that cannot be gotten easily.
Good luck,
Jim 7A Wings

I 2nd that!

I have received nothing but excellent service from Vans. On my RV-8 fuselage kit (-1 version). There were some parts that didn't have the holes drilled from the factory - had me scratching my head for a few minutes. Called Vans on Monday and had the replacement parts by Wed and I live in Ohio.

Must be a unique circumstance.

Last edited:
I agree with the others, in regards to this situation not being "normal" for Van's. I delt with Van's for 12 years, and getting parts have been rather quick.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Agreed

The other thought is that if these are simple nuts and bolts, just get the sizes off the plans and order them from Spruce or buy 'em at the local FBO...They are cheap and will get you building at least.

Most unusual for Van's

Frank

Not the norm

Doesn't sound like the service I've received. My wing kit was missing a few small items in the bags and Van's sent them along within a couple days of my Email.

Later I found that one group of wing ribs were wrong (had the sticky tag with the correct number from inventory sheet but were actually drilled as another style rib). Once I sent a digital photo to confirm problem and provided the number of bad ribs, Van's sent the replacements. They had me hold the bad ribs and send back in the same box. I wasted more time myself trying to figure out why the ribs didn't align then it took to get the new ribs from Van's....

Good luck

Alan
RV-9A Wings
N984AW Reserved

Not sure if this will help you or not but I recently ordred a RV-8 Empennage kit with BAG 618 missing as well. I recieved my kit on 7/10/08. To this day those parts on still on back order as I have not received them yet.

EDIT- I just received BAG 618 in the mail today from Vans 8/4.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
How do it know....

Tom here,

I too finally got my Bag #618 today 08/04/08. I am happy to hear the comments you gents sent.

Tom...

As some of the others have said, Van's is known for their customer service.

As you move into the kit you will find that while Van's does give you all the nuts, bolts, washers, etc. required to build their exact kit. Should you make even the most minor change, you will need additional hardware.

At some point you might want to order some of the hardware kits (nuts, bolts, washers, and cotter pins) from Aircraft Spruce.

Back