What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing wings flat on ceiling joists?

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Hi all,
Does anyone see any negative in storing the wings flat on the ceiling rafters?
I have a workshop that is open ceiling and have accomodated offset joists foe access to above. I just dont have enough space to put the wings in a holder jig as Vans plans state.
Any comments would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Jim
7A emp almost done (it seems like i,ve been saying that forever :( )

Hi Jim,

I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I am going to do just that in my hangar with my own wings and a fellow builder's wings.

I think technique is the key to most things in life. My technique for suspending the wings will be the same as the way they are suspended on the plane. I plan on hanging angle bracket from the ceiling and bolting the wing spars to it. At the tip, where there will be little weight I plan on installing bolts where the tooling holes are and fastening the angle to it.

I think it should work fine.

;) CJ

Last edited:
PVC Pipe

Another suggestion would be to run 2 1/2 in or bigger PVC pipe, whatever will fit and run it through the whole length of the wing and hang it that way. 2 pipes per wing should work. Run the rope through the pipe and then to the rafters. NO pushtubes would be in this application or wing tips.

Just some thoughts.

Bruce, I like it!

Good idea! To make it better I would insert steel pipe within the plastic because the plastic will bend over time. It probably wouldn't break, but it would be much more rigid.

:) CJ

I couldn't put them on top of the rafters so I hung them under. Made some brackets out of plywood. I doubled the plywood at the lower edge for strength Contoured them to the airfoil. A little carpet. They have been there longer than I would like to admit.
picture189zk4.jpg

picture188lf7.jpg

picture187pf0.jpg

Back