What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing Gear Mounts Twisted.

Nictech

While test fitting the landing gear mount assemblies (WD-1021-L-PC and WD-1021-R-PC) I noticed that the surfaces did not sit right (flat) on the FWD Center Section Bulkhead Assembly (spar). This is especially evident on the right mount. As shown in the attached pictures, the top flange is clamped flat to a straight metal plate and the bottom is on an angle. I tried to twist it to bend it straight but the mount is too strong. If I would bolt it down, I would be deforming the spar. As for the left mount, I needed to shim and grind it down to make it fit. I really believe that these parts should fit well as to not distort the spar and to transfer the landing gear loads evenly.

I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem as well.

2015-02-04%2018.31.06.jpg

2015-02-04%2018.31.16.jpg

Had the same problem

I ended up making drift pins out of longer an 3 bolts. Used these to pull weldment into position, then bolted in. Worked well for me.

similar experience here

Mine looked similar to yours and at first sight I did not think I could
make it fit.
As unscientific as it sounds, inserting the bolts and tightening in various different sequences helped to get it into position without too much tension.
You can't do much about the part that bolts up to the spar but the two braces running out from the socket can be persuaded with a appropriately sized "sledge hammer"

Back