What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interpreting the directions

rwarre

Well Known Member
Finished rivieting the left wing stucture today and almost put rivets in the holes where the aireron gap farings and flap brace goes. The instructions say nothing about waiting to rivet those holes or any indication that the gap fairing and flap brace will eventually be installed there. Now I believe what everyone has said about the lack of detail in the instuctions after the empannage.

DWG 10A Detail A,B, and C

What I have found, is that you have to study the drawing also...a lot of stuff is not in the instructions, but on the drawing....Look at drawing 10A Detail A,B, and C and where it says to rivet in assembly with other parts and is circled with a phantom line type...
Hope this helps,,
Jim (7A Wings)

This is for the 7...I dont know if you are biulding a 7 or 10.....Your post was in RV7's

It's not really possible to make step-by-step instructions; you need to be able to look ahead and do some thinking and planning for yourself. There's too many variations in building sequence. Ex.: wing skinning, top or bottom first? Top so you can backrivet and make it pretty? Or did you run a conduit low in the wing and need to do the bottom skin first before installing the conduit (otherwise it interferes with your bucking bar)? Decisions you make that Van's has no control over can influence how you end up building your plane. It gets worse in the fuselage and finish kit because of all the variations of possible equipment and placement. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes you have to undo some work that you've already done because of some unforeseen problems with what you want to install now.

This isn't exactly a 'quitcherwhining' post; it's part of the common frustration of building an airplane. I recently ran into that on my -6A when the tip-up latch cross tube interfered with the flap motor housing; Van's response was "Oh, that. We fixed that with the pre-punch kits." Well, no one told me and it was too late to adjust the flap housing so I had to space the latch mechanism forward. Frustrating, not mentioned anywhere in plans or instructions, but also part of the fun - figuring out how to proceed. So hopefully you will understand that my tone is more to let you know that the instructions problem is one we all face; it's part of the landscape. But, you'll get pretty good at navigating the landscape by the time you're done. Focusing on the fun parts helps.

Back