What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

repairman's certification prior to first flight

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
My DAR want's the plane to have a condition inspection prior to first flight. Rather than find an A&P in my rural neighborhood, I was wondering...

Subject to my documenting build and knowledge of the plane to FSDO, is there anything that prevents me from getting repairman's certificate prior to actual first flight.

My DAR want's the plane to have a condition inspection prior to first flight. Rather than find an A&P in my rural neighborhood, I was wondering...

Subject to my documenting build and knowledge of the plane to FSDO, is there anything that prevents me from getting repairman's certificate prior to actual first flight.

That's odd. Part of the documentation that you have to provide is the statement that the aircraft is airworthy. That was good enough for FSDO when they did my inspection.

But to answer your question, I don't know any reason why you couldn't get your Repairman's prior to first flight. Technically, I did. I got the temp license when FSDO was at the hangar doing my inspection. I didn't fly until four months later.

Typically the FAA will NOT issue a Repairman certificate until after the aircraft has been issued a Special Airworthiness Certificate. They want to see the 8130-7 and Operating Limitations in addition to other documents.

Sounds like you need to contact your DAR for clarification. There is a requirement that a Condition Inspection be done BUT it does not need signed off by a Repairman or A&P. Once the Condition Inspection is complete, it is signed off in the log with the name and title of the owner / builder. In other words, the Condition Inspection is signed off ad YOUR NAME Owner / Builder.

If you go to the latest copy of FAA Order 8130.2, you will find this:
"460. Certification Procedures."
"f. FAA Records Review."
..."(4) Ensure there is a signed and dated statement from the owner in the aircraft records, that the aircraft has had an inspection performed in accordance with part 43, appendix D, or other approved programs, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. The inspection will help reduce errors made during construction of the aircraft. This statement will support the owner’s inspection and airworthiness statement on block III of FAA Form 8130-6. AC 90-89, appendix 1, as revised, may be used."

"Note: There is no requirement for airframe and powerplant mechanics to sign off on amateur-built airworthiness inspections. The aircraft builder’s signature on FAA Form 8130-6, block III, attests to the airworthiness of the amateur-built aircraft."

All the DARs should have this same requirement as it is in the FAA Order and is not an optional step.

Last edited:
Same thing

The wording for the inspection prior to Initial issuance of an Airworthiness Certificate is really the same as a Condition Inspection. Your DAR just might be referring to the requirement for that entry. I would ask for clarification, as the DAR's really don't make the rules. We basically follow the Order and try to insure the paperwork is correct and the aircraft is in a condition for a safe first flight.

That being said, we do try to bring a lot of experience to the table. :)

Vic

Back