What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bail on the Tailwind to build another 7???

cjensen

Well Known Member
So I had an interesting conversation with my wife tonight...and SHE brought it up. While talking about working on the Tailwind this morning, she says "I really wish you would just build another RV." :cool:

What's a good husband to do? Anybody wanna buy a Tailwind fuselage???:D

Either she really loves you or just needs you out of her hair! ;)
Whatever you decide, do not take down your great builder's website.

Are you sure she meant "instead of" and not "as well as"? May be worth checking in case you misunderstood. :rolleyes:

YES!!!!!

Chad,

I am doing the same thing -- exploring different designs, models, flight missions, etc. Christine and I had a good talk this weekend, and the Cub plans are for sale. We decided that a hot-rod RV-4 build would fill the niche of building again, but not feeling as "kit-like". You just can't beat these things....

Rob

You might consider going for the RV-14, since you have been there, done that with the -7.

Just ONE of the good points about that ...

... would be your hours-to-completion. I'm always amazed by how quickly any task in RV construction goes when you do the 2nd one of a pair (like, around a third of time it took for the first one). Just think how much faster you would finish your 2nd RV-7! :D

Get out the checkbook;)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=89283

Considering your line of employment, cant this be considered a tax deductable work related expense??? And, build time should be counted as work time..................just write an article or two, after doing all the necessary "research" during your 8-5.

Just dont count the rivets:eek:

Last edited:
An Eagle's Nest Project in Oshkosh?

Chad,

Your beautiful wife is a gem and a true visionary!

Food for thought...

EAA has a stable you can borrow from if you need a super fast cross country bird, so... grab the wife and go fly an RV-12. If she likes it, and you both will, then read on.

It's time to get an Eagle's Nest project started in an Oshkosh high school. We'll help you locate a school, provide the curriculum, support materials, and link you with mentors and student-builders at other schools. You and your wife can mentor the build, you'll receive personal rewards too numerous to mention, and you can own the completed RV-12 for the cost of the kit. Heck, what ya think about EAA sponsoring the project and including it their inventory of flying aircraft? Seeing that you're now qualified to fly out of Pioneer, you have my vote that you be appointed Chief Pilot of the Eagle's Nest bird and that it be at your disposal 24/7 (wet)! Win-Win

I'll even bring the Tannerite to the kick-off and completion parties! Didn't realize the amount of energy in this stuff! You'll probably chuckle when I tell you we blew the end of Bruce's pier smooth off!

[Edit: Added list of high potential area high schools (Project Lead the Way engineering certified). Just a starting point.]

Oshkosh North HS
Oshkosh West HS
Neenah HS
Tulsa Engineering Charter School
Fox Valley Lutheran HS

Regards,

Last edited:
Or.....

Ernie has a point about doing a 12 in Oshkosh. But I know you want pride of ownership and a sense of "I built this."

It is much easier the second time. You'll save money and time the 2nd round.

Or..... you can just buy my 7 in a few months when my new 7 is done:D:D

Order the 7 or look for one in progress. Quick before she re-evaluates and decides a Beemer would be more practical!!!!

Chad,

What Ernie said... You met those kids at AirVenture. You, too, can have a flock like that. And I will tell you, it is more fun than just building with a partner. It even sounds like you have the start of a mentoring crew. This would really be an eye-opener for you, in your position. Finding out how easy it is to really grow the homebuilt population would be a Good Thing. I'll even say we can get you some support materials, and I can even come up for one of the pizza parties.

Bob

Ernie, Bob,

I would love to find a way to get involved in Eagles Nest...it just can't be this year. I just got an EAA employee build project approved, launching at the end of September that will take us in to next summer, and I'm project lead on this one. It'll be announced in this weeks e-Hotline...but you heard it here first! I have more than 30 staffers interested in building!!

And Ernie...you better have some video to send me!

Ernie has a point about doing a 12 in Oshkosh. But I know you want pride of ownership and a sense of "I built this."

It is much easier the second time. You'll save money and time the 2nd round.

Or..... you can just buy my 7 in a few months when my new 7 is done:D:D

Order the 7 or look for one in progress. Quick before she re-evaluates and decides a Beemer would be more practical!!!!

Ha! Beemer is already in the garage!;) I'm thinking this one will be a 9...:cool:

... I'm thinking this one will be a 9...:cool:
Now there's a smart man! Let me know, if you make it down this way and I'll let you fly my -9.

As for the RV vs. Tailwind...

What will you learn building another RV? You have already traveled down that road and built a beautiful and light sample. Why not finish the Tailwind? Granted, they aren't as good looking as an RV.

So I had an interesting conversation with my wife tonight...and SHE brought it up. While talking about working on the Tailwind this morning, she says "I really wish you would just build another RV." :cool:

What's a good husband to do? Anybody wanna buy a Tailwind fuselage???:D

She is smarter than you, Chad. :)

Now there's a smart man! Let me know, if you make it down this way and I'll let you fly my -9.
Roger that!

As for the RV vs. Tailwind...

What will you learn building another RV? You have already traveled down that road and built a beautiful and light sample. Why not finish the Tailwind? Granted, they aren't as good looking as an RV.
Maybe nothing earth-shattering new, but I think I can take what I learned on the first one and build faster! :D

I have Cuby plans on the way too, thanks to Rob (VAF: robjohnson)...

Welcome back Chad,
With the 14 you may be able to fit both dogs in the back, so Britt can take them to dogs shows ?

A tailwind

IMG_4301.jpg

Red Hamilton prepares his W10 Tailwind #37 for the long run in the 2010 AirVenture Cup race at 223.01 mph powered by a "320".

Bob Axsom

Tailwind

Red and Marilyn have set two class records at 234 and 235 m/h in SARL races. This suggests a top speed of 245 m/h.
Not bad for a design that will be 60 years old in Jan 2013.

OK, Bill you got me on "lighter" I am not subtracting full AC leather interior from 1030. How about the other two? :D

Sort of..

Like me, my -9 has gained some weight over the years. The new engine, auto pilot, full leather interior, paint, etc. didn't help. Still 1068 isn't too bad.

Back