What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle tie rods...how the heck???

cjensen

Well Known Member
How is everyone getting the steel tie rods for the under cylinder baffles threaded???

I've got mine cut to length, and was trying to thread the first one today...busted it. The rod twists, work hardens, and SNAP! Yes, I am using lube, and the correct 6-32 thread nut...so now I have to find at least one more piece of rod to replace the one I broke, and now I'm afraid to do the rest!

How did you do it?

:confused::confused::confused:

Threaded rod from hobby shop

I followed what Danny King suggested to Don McNamara, used a fully threaded rod from a hobby shop. I believe it takes a #4 locknut. I put a bend in it to clear the bottom baffel and used a high temp plastic tube over it for protection. Worked great, no problems after 130 hrs.

o1rW0wQqh2Ijhw-1Nx6-mA

N84FT%20Engine%20Baffles%20041.jpg

Last edited:
TIE RODS

4130 rod can be threaded without breaking. Available from Aircraft Spruce. I chuck the rod in a lathe and start the die by pushing on it with the tailstock. Or you can buy the rods from Pitts. I am still searching for some stainless I can thread. The stuff I found so far is too hard.

Whats wrong with the old way?

I.e safety wire with a covering of 1/4" nylon tube available from your local hydraulics emporium (they call it air brake hose).

just tension by pulling on the pliers and pushing on the baffle....Seems pretty bulletproof. Use a washer at the ends to prevent the wire cutting a groove in the baffle material.

Oh you hvae to use nylon..anything else will melt.

Frank

How is everyone getting the steel tie rods for the under cylinder baffles threaded???

I've got mine cut to length, and was trying to thread the first one today...busted it. The rod twists, work hardens, and SNAP! Yes, I am using lube, and the correct 6-32 thread nut...so now I have to find at least one more piece of rod to replace the one I broke, and now I'm afraid to do the rest!

How did you do it?

:confused::confused::confused:

Hmmm. You don't mention that you're using a die. Are you trying to thread the rod with a nut?

Buy some copper coated 1/8th inch welding rod from your favorite welding supply shop (cheap unless they have a min purchase). Thread it and you're done. Been using this for many years with good results. Rod is smooth and doesn't require any covering.

I second Frank's response -- that's what I did on mine. The 'ol safety wire covered in nylon tubing with a couple washers to prevent cutting. After 73 hours, no indication of chaffing or the safety wire cutting through anything. A whole heck of a lot easier than messing with those rods....

It can be done. Thin the end on using your grinder so you can get the die on it. Otherwise, it is pain get the die to bite since the rod is stainless. Liberal machine oil and slowly tighten and back off by 1/2 turns.

I couldn't get it threaded until I gave the die a chance to bite. If you are trying to use just a nut, you are guaranteed failure.

It was a pain to do and takes a high quality die and lots of lubricating oil. I believe there is a special oil for stainless steel, but I just used air tool oil. It took a lot of downward pressure and effort to get the die started, and a lot of clamping pressure to keep the rod from twisting in the vise, but it finally worked. Rounding the ends of the rod prior to starting helps, and also lightly sanding the outer 1" to slightly reduce the diameter a tad also helped.

Then, after I was done, I saw how the older baffle kits used the aforementioned safety wire and I thought, man, that is the way to do it!

Thanks to Jack Holland and Jeff Swords...we got it done tonight with safety wire! Thanks to all here as well!

9-3-09-005w.jpg

9-3-09-007w.jpg

thread on 1/2 turn, back 1/4 turn...

Using a threading die on half-hard stainless takes patience. You can not expect to just twist it on. You will end up running over the chips from the cutter ahead, and it will seize. You have to go on a half turn, then back off a quarter turn to clear the chips, then forward a half, back a quarter....shower, rinse, repeat.

Webb has the right idea.

It helps to have a quality threading die. I used a Vermont-American die from local hardware, and it was lousy, took lots of patience and time. I know the dies we have at work would work much better.

by the way, this is a really elegant tie rod set up, much nicer than the safety wire system....but to each his own.

Back