What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N826RC first flight

robjohnson

Well Known Member
Here is the note that I sent to Van's on my first flight -- I'll be posting a YouTube link in a few days after we get done editing the videos. Thanks to all for your help along the way!!!

On August 10, 2008, our RV-7 (#72503) received its airworthiness certificate and made it's maiden flight! The project began September 30, 2005 with the initial empennage order, and the standard (non-quickbuild) -7 slider kit came to life over the next 35 months (and nearly 2000 hours).

The plane sports a beautiful Aerosport Power IO-360-M1 with AFP injection, ram air induction, and swings a Hartzell Blended Airfoil CS prop. The lpanel hosts an AF-3400EE EFIS/engine monitor, Garmin IFR WAAS GPS/COM, SL30, GTX327, and a TruTrak ADI Pilot II two-axis autopilot.

First flight was an absolute BLAST! The tail was flying in literally 1 second, and I was airborne shortly thereafter. After some minor trimming, the plane flew beautifully and absolutely hands off.

Thanks to my RV buddies and friends for your help and advice (and borrowed parts!) along the way: Chad Jensen, Terry Wendling, George Wilts (EAA tech counselor and my tailwheel instructor), Tom Swearingen (EAA tech counselor), John Visel, Keith & Linda Doornbos, Dave Kewley, Mark Anderson, and the others I may have forgotten.

Extra special thanks to my good friend Jack Holland, who took part in almost every major milestone of the build and served as a mentor and advisor in preparation for the first flight. You rock, Jack!!!

Finally, I owe this project's success to my beautiful bride, Christine. From shooting rivets right after a manicure, to figuring out some magical way to pay for our dream, Christine made this happen. For all of you prospective builders, my sole piece of advice is to involve your family in the project and make it a collective dream. The process is MUCH more enjoyable this way!

Pics and blog are located here with movie footage coming soon: http://www.rv-7adventures.blogspot.com/

Thanks for an awesome kit, Van, and builders -- you know the routine -- KEEP POUNDING THOSE RIVETS!!! :)

Rob Johnson
N826RC
RV-7 slider -- kit #72503

Even though I was just at your house watching the videos, a BIG CONGRATS to you again man!! It was a lot of fun watching you pass me up in your build (he started 3 months AFTER me!), and hitting milestone after milestone. You've done a fantastic job on the build, and I CAN'T WAIT to get flying with you guys!!

"Brilliant"

Congratulations Rob on your first flight! Awesome choices on your avionics! I have exactly the same equipment in my RV-7 also. Would not change a thing!
Randy Utsey
RV-7 (130 hrs)
Charlotte, N.C.

Great job guys! I've been kind of wondering when it might happen, I'd been following your progress over the last year or so until your old site went away. I knew you must be getting close.

Outstanding!

Back