What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root fairing?

cjensen

Well Known Member
Rob Johnson and I were talking last night, and I brought up the wing root fairing. I'm to a point in the instructions to where it says to fit and drill them in place. I don't have them.

Do these come with the finish kit, or did I miss them in the inventory for the fuselage kit? :confused:

Chad,

Pretty sure they come in the finish kit because I did not get them either. I do know that they can be fitted much later in the game....

Just don't bolt your wings on permanently, like I did, because you need to install a bunch of nut plates top & bottom.

On my 6A, there isn't much more than an inch between the fuse & wing, aft of the spar .

So today; three years after they were originally all bolted and torqued, I'm completing the process again; but painted this time.

L.Adamson Rv6A

Hey Chad,

I just thought about this tonight while driving -- you can order those fairings ahead of time. I ordered a replacement fairing from Van's because I got over zealous with that edge rolling tool (I figured out how to fit it without edge rolling after I mangled the edge). Anyway, I ordered a new one from Van's and it rolls up nicely for shipping.

Just a thought...this would allow you to fit them now and not have to worry about it later on. You could also delete them from your finish kit when you order it.

I got one (not TWO!) of my wing root fairings today from Van's. Are these not pre-punched normally?

I have two issues that I'm trying to work thru. First, there are no holes, so locating the holes underneath will take some measuring and marking. Not a big deal, but a pain nonetheless. I've read a couple of websites, and it sounds like they should be pre-punched.

Second...the fit is TERRIBLE! I have over a 1/2" gap between the fairing and the fuselage all the way around the fuel tank if I fit it for proper edge distance for the screw holes. The max gap according to the plans is 1/4", min 3/16".

I can't afford the $430 Fairings Etc. glass fairings, so I am going to have to make these work somehow...

Any ideas? Am I missing something here?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Read Dan's write up numerous times. It doesn't say his were pre-punched, just how he got them to fit (which is good info).

I'm just gonna call Van's this morning to get the scoop. Even if mine had pre-punched holes, I still would have a larger than 1/2" gap, and that ain't gonna work.

There was a label, but without looking at it (not at home right now), I couldn't tell you what the number was. I do know it started with WRF-...

Were yours pre-punched?

I'm pretty sure the wing root fairings were pre-punched. I think it was the fuselage skin underhang that was not... But don't hold me to that, it's been a while!

That's the general consensus that I'm getting is that they should be pre-punched. You are correct in that the fuselage skin underhang is not pre-punched...

I'll give Van's a call when the order desk wakes up... :)

cjensen said:
Were yours pre-punched?

Chad, my wing root fairings were pre-punched. They fit very tightly. It took some effort to pull them tight enough to get the initial clecos started.

... Bill

Problem solved...I talked to Jessica and she straightened things out. Seems I was sent a 6 wing root fairing...WRF-601. I need the F-799's for the 7.

Thanks all!

:cool:

Chad-

Even if your wings have 0-degrees of sweep, there will likely be some of the holes where you won't have a full 10/32 of edge distance for the #8 screws. I called/emailed Van's about this and was told that (paraphrasing) "it's just a fairing so don't worry." I think I ended up with 8/32 on a few holes on the tank skin. Otherwise I was able to get the fairings all within 1/4" of the fuselage. I think I posted the reply on an earlier thread that's probably still around somewhere.

Again, though, if you have any aft wing sweep (and the plans allow for up to 1/2") this will compound your edge distance problems.

Good luck. Feels nice to have the wings on, no?

Thanks Steve...I read your post on it last night after doing a search. Good info!

It does feel good to have the wings on...even better to get thru this step, and take them off again to keep moving ahead!! :D

Back