What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex questions - RV-7A slider

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
I'm at the part in my RV-7A construction where the canopy gets mounted on the frame. I've already cut the windscreen portion off and trimmed the sides of the bubble to sit about 1/4" above the slider frame (square tube). I was looking over the plans and I've decided I'm just not real comfortable with drilling holes in the plexiglas...actually I AM comfortable drilling the holes, I'm just worried they'll eventually crack. :eek:

So I've done a few searches for "sikaflex" and while there's lots of good information for tip-ups, it's a bit limited for sliders. Does anyone have documented steps for the slider? Pictures would be helpful. :) Would the write-up for the RV-8 canopy by Eric Wolf (thanks, btw) be consistent with the steps to be taken for the RV-7?

Also, I read somewhere that the white Sikaflex isn't as UV proof as the black stuff, but has anyone used it anyway? I would think the white Sikaflex would look a little better when mated to the powder-coated frame.

Last question, what are the pro's and con's to making a fiberglass canopy skirt and attaching it with Sikaflex? Would the aluminum version be better? Any suggestions in regards to the skirt? Thanks!

Getting ready to do the belt and suspenders approach on our canopy -- Sikaflex with rivets as a backup on the center and aft bows. I know, I know -- it could still crack. I am mainly using the Sika for a smooth filled adhesive on the front bows. I have spacers all along the front bow to make things fit properly. Our Sika should be delivered tomorrow, and I may get to gluing things up this weekend. I will try to document as much as I can on our website.

Rob

Sikaflex

My buddy and I used Sikaflex on the install of both the slider canopy and front baggage door install of an RV-8 and ended up very happy with the results. If you would like some pictures e-mail me direct dav1111 at suddenlink dot net.

White?

Has anyone used the white instead of the black sikaflex? Are you happy with the color compared to what the black looks like on the white canopy frame & roll bar?

Mike R.

Capflyer said:
Has anyone used the white instead of the black sikaflex? Are you happy with the color compared to what the black looks like on the white canopy frame & roll bar?

Mike R.

Hi Mike,
I ended up using the black Sikaflex, and I followed Pete's lead by painting my canopy frame black...I haven't heard of anyone using the white stuff, so I decided to stick with the "proven" (please don't flame me for saying that) stuff.

I have to say, it was much easier than I thought it would be...and much less stressful than drilling holes in my canopy. I know I'll get some negative response for saying this, but I think Van's should really look into making this the primary method of canopy attachment.

After I posted my question on the white or black I went to the Sika Flex website and looked at the specification sheets. Turns out the white is only a sealant and the black is a sealant/adhesive. So, black it is.

I was happy to screw and rivet on my canopy but I mis-drilled the holes in the windscreen that attach it to the roll bar. My choice was to elongate the holes or just glue it down. The bonding method seems to be a better choice especially since my plan was to caulk that area anyways to hide the spacers between the windscreen and roll bar.

Back