What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I Didn't Order an RV-12

David Paule

Well Known Member
After coming very close to ordering an RV-12 kit, I ordered an RV-3B kit instead.

There were three things that dissuaded me from the RV-12, which I regard as a delightful airplane with remarkably good visibility.

1. It's not a taildragger. That was the main show-stopper, and I gave some serious consideration to fixing that little problem, but ultimately decided that while it was doable I wanted to build rather than do more engineering. I retired to do other things.

2. The fuselage tank. Too bad there aren't optional wing tanks. Again, I didn't want to do the engineering that would let me build my own.

3. The lack of progress with the Skyview. I figured that this would be available by the time I was ready for it but there is still some considerable uncertainty right at the moment. From the builder comments about the D180, it seemed likely that there might be some initial issues with it and that the timing might put me into them.

One possibility that affected my decision is the hope that when I get the RV-3B done and flying, that perhaps the -12 or a follow-on Van's LSA will be a taildragger and have no cabin fuel. I don't care whether it's tandem or side by side. C'mon, Van's!

Dave

Interesting choice...

I can see why you chose not to build the RV-12 in your writeup but not why you selected the RV-3B. Just curious I guess.

Bob Axsom

I chose the RV-3B because once I decided not to buy the RV-12, which was the only LSA kit on my list, I could get anything. I wasn't limited by the need for LSA.

My Cessna 180 has nearly the cruise and climb and take-off/landing performance of the other RVs, and of course has four seats. That gave me the option of selecting a single-seater for what is going to be a play airplane.

The single-seat RV-3B is an appealing project. Actually, it's a very exciting project. And from all I've heard, a great airplane to fly.

Dave

Not so much. There's a lot of them that'll do it, especially the early ones. And most of the Cessna 185s will, too, with more load and a higher fuel burn.

Dave

Not so much. There's a lot of them that'll do it, especially the early ones. And most of the Cessna 185s will, too, with more load and a higher fuel burn.

Dave

A lot of C-180's can cruise at close to 165-170 kts?

Maybe I need to take another look at C-180's

Caution: thread creep

A lot of C-180's can cruise at close to 165-170 kts?

Maybe I need to take another look at C-180's

You might have some influence along these lines ;), If you put
the wing on top of the RV-10 (RV-18(0) maybe?) and made it
a taildragger, it would probably go 165 KTAS!

I've owned two C-180's and have a fair amount of time in C-185's. Fine airplanes and will do alot of things a Vans aircraft won't do. Where I came from, Alaska, they are hard to beat as an all around work horse and cruiser. But, cruise at 165-170K?? Maybe I had a couple of dogs but they wouldn't go that fast.

Look, I didn't mean for this to become a 180/185 discussion. Sorry about that, everyone.

I also didn't mean that my 180 cruises at RV speeds. It won't but not by much. At 8k feet, it'll do in the high 160s, mph (I measured 168 mph, flying several GPS square patterns) at just under 75% power. Its wheel pants were off when I did it, and they add 6 to 8 mph. That's roughly 15%, maybe 20% slower than the non-LSA RVs and that's close enough for me, given its other excellent characteristics.

It's not for sale and I'm not trying to hype it. Let's move on.

I'm building the RV-3B not for high cruise speed but for having a good-climbing, small airplane with a bubble canopy. I'll get to look at the sky for a change - I can't wait for sunset flights! It'll be a toy, a play plane, a hangar companion for the 180 and a good project for me.

I like that it's not LEGO-simple to assemble, and that it's a taildragger. It won't cost much less than a finished RV-12 would, so cost wasn't much of an issue.

Dave

Back