What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Choices

jscottpilot

I have found a Lycoming O-360-A1G6D from a Duchess. It is a good price. Does anyone know if this engine designation and configuration will work on an RV8?????????????????????

Last edited:
I found the information. A duchess carburetor is located on the back of the sump and therefore probably will not work on a RV8

Is there

A boss on the front of the sump do you know?

If there is a drill press and some grinding will have the carb mounted on the front of the sump in short order.

Frank

Got one

I bought one (O360A1G6D) a couple of months ago, also off a Duchess. This engine has a rear facing horizontal induction which won't fit with the RV8 engine mount. I had to buy a new sump with vertical induction and a new (used) carburetor (total about $1500 for sump and carb). I took the engine apart and will put it back together this Spring.

This engine also has a single drive dual magneto, which some people don't like.

You also need to check the serial number against the Lycoming ADs and SBs for crankshaft replacement requirements. Make sure you are getting the right-hand drive engine, and not the left-hand drive (there's one of each on each Duchess). I think it's a good engine, if it's in good shape -- if you budget for the sump and carburetor change, and don't have to replace the crankshaft. I wanted to get a counterweighted crank, and I think I found a bargain, but it's not quite as much of a bargain as I originally thought.

This engine also has a single drive dual magneto, which some people don't like.
Just to expand on this, here is an unfortunate example:
G-EKMW Accident Report
There are, of course, plenty of other "single point" failure modes in our engines, and this accident had errors in the chain that should not have occurred.... but 2 independant Mags and he would presumably still be alive :(

There are some that convert them to fwd facing. Also could use a different sump/carb or Fuel injection.

Rotation...

To change the rotation of a Lyc would require a cam change but a crank too?

Just wondering.

Bevan

Single Drive Dual Mag Lyc Engines.

Just to expand on this, here is an unfortunate example:
G-EKMW Accident Report
There are, of course, plenty of other "single point" failure modes in our engines, and this accident had errors in the chain that should not have occurred.... but 2 independant Mags and he would presumably still be alive :(

At first blush; it seems the magneto is at fault. If you dig down to page 85-86 on to the end, you will see that it must have been a maintenance fault.

I have this same mag on my I0-360-A3B6D engine and it is performing flawlessly on my engine. These mags have had bad press for a long time but have been improved greatly over the last several years.

I do intend in the near future to install a Lightspeed Electronic Ignition for the right side of the mag. There is a Bendix single drive mag (don't have the model # in front of me now) that you can convert by installing the drive gear off the dual mag to the single mag. It will fit the hole and mesh with the drive gears where the dual resides now. The dual mag drive has a pilot shaft on the forward end that fits into a hole in the crankcase that stabilizes the drive train. This feature is what makes a retrofit to a single mag in that hole problematic.

That with the Lightspeed is what I want.

Hope this helps. Any questions; PM me and I will give you my cell # and we can talk.

I have found a Lycoming O-360-A1G6D from a Duchess. It is a good price. Does anyone know if this engine designation and configuration will work on an RV8?????????????????????

Short answer is no, that engine will not work with an -8. But you can easily change it.

I have what was an O-360-F1A6 on my -8. It had a rear facing carb but I got a new sump from ECI for about 400 bucks and traded the carb + cash for the correct one from a local shop. Over all cost was around a grand. I still have the old sump that will someday go on ebay.

As far as the mags, they have a bad reputation but there are 3 'H' engines on our field. The owners seem very pleased however, the maintenance on these planes is first rate.

Engine Choice

IMHO you should buy a new ECI engine, and either assemble it yourself, or have it assembled by a pro shop. Either way, all the parts would be new, TSOed... (FAA way of saying same as Lycoming), and you would have a new engine. It is difficult to buy a used engine, then convert it to a usable state, and save enough money to offset the advantage of an engine built from new parts.

Last edited:
Back