What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OUUUCCCCHHH-the RV Bug

vernh59

Hello all!
I have been lurking here for awhile and this is a great site. I recently decided to have a fun airplane to fly, turn upside down occasionally and do some traveling in. While I was searching for really used taildraggers online I came accross a pic of an RV-8 and I new that it was "the one."

This will be my second home built. The first was a Mini-Max that was a blast to fly but you weren't going anywhere in it. Instead of 25,000 rivets it had 10,486 staples.
I remember seeing Van's RV at Sun-N-Fun about 100 years ago and was very impressed. Now, a lifetime later, the circle is complete.

Since I am in the process of being single (again) I have some logistics to work out. I have another deployment coming up next year and I would like to be well on the way in the build before I go. Meanwhile, I will be reading, planning and saving.

Thanks for the great site and the information here.
Let the dumb questions begin!:)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Vern, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Glad to have you aboard.

As you are probably aware, there is an incredible amount of info available here, just waiting for you to utilize.

I also am looking forward to a 8 build sometime in the future.

Well half your problems re: building quickly are taken care of since you're single again!!:D

So you should be in charge of your free time, now you just need the money and skills.

Look into a build class and spend a weekend learning aluminum skills if you don't have them already. A couple days of supervised building will go a long way towards efficient and quick building as you don't have to rework as many mistakes or wait for new parts.

Cheers and welcome.

A quick check on Google maps tells me that Grady AL is a HUGH metropolitan city. Well, maybe not that big.

Seems to me that second to only to Texas, Alabama has about the most builders of RV's. I can't prove that but there does seem to be a bunch over there. You'll be in good company. If you can make it, SERFI always has a bunch of RV's show up. I hope to have mine there this year.

Welcome!

Look into a build class and spend a weekend learning aluminum skills if you don't have them already. A couple days of supervised building will go a long way towards efficient and quick building as you don't have to rework as many mistakes or wait for new parts.

I second this opinion. I just returned from the Valentine's Day EAA session in Lakeland and the basic sheet metal class taught me a lot. The skills I learned were a real plus, but the tips and tricks were even more important as they were things I would probably never have thought of. It was money very well spent in my case.

Good luck and welcome aboard from another new RV-8 builder.

Back