What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Peti Jean

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Petit Jean Camp out

Camping at Petit Jean, Arkansas KMPJ
Friday November 24, 2006
RVs and others welcome

Last edited:
Jay...What time do you plan to arrive? I'm less than an hour from there. I might drive up and say hi.

Thanks for posting, Jaybird! Yes the more the merrier, all are welcome. We will be camping at the airport sites, which are a few miles from the main park.

Donald, tentatively planning a mid-day-ish arrival, but some may show up earlier, we will let you know as things firm up. None of us has been there before but sounds like a great spot.

Jay,

I might be camping with you Friday night. I'm also trying to get Jason Sneed to go too. Hope to see you there.

How do they pronounce the name of this park? It look Frenchy, so I'd probably prounounce it "pet-ee zhon" (the J pronounced like in 'deja vu'). But as is often the case, locals (particularly in the south) pronounce it entirely differently...

As a side note, if it is French, the gender on the adjective 'petit' is wrong. It should have an 'e' at the end unless Jean was a male. Okay back here to edit... Jean was a girl, but dressed up as a cabin boy (seriously). That's the reason for the mismatch.

So how do those who know say this name?

Last edited:
I just talked to them on the phone. They pronounce it Petty as in Richard Petty, Jean as in Levis blue jean.

Good Turnout

I saw six RV-6, RV-7 and RV-8 airplanes on the south ramp when I stopped by at 15:05 and on my way back home another one was inbound (N360AD). Good looking airplanes and tents and good times I'm sure. I sent photos to Doug.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
well that was fun

Seven planes @ Petit Jean,
Andy RV4, Jason RV6, Tobin RV7, Paul RV8, Scorch RV6, Randy RV8, JayBird and Carol RV6.
Good fire and talking into the night.You that were not there'''' we talked about you.... next time be there to defend your self.

Petit Jean Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures from Peti Jean. The campsite was at the far end of runway 21. There is NOTHING else around (although you can get a shuttle out) If you want to get away, this is the spot. However, the campsites had running water, electrical hook-ups and there was a bathroom with hot shower. The stars at night were amazing and geese flew in before dark and put on an airshow for us......and then made sure that we could hear them honking occasionally at night (it was pretty cool)

This is a picture of the campfire that Jay mentioned (the morning after). Good friends, good location, and flying....you can't ask for more than that! My son and I had a blast. See you all at the next one!

Last edited:
Sorry we missed you Bob!

Bob Axsom said:
I saw six RV-6, RV-7 and RV-8 airplanes on the south ramp when I stopped by at 15:05 and on my way back home another one was inbound (N360AD). Good looking airplanes and tents and good times I'm sure. I sent photos to Doug.

Bob Axsom

Doh!! We should have hung around a little longer, but we just had this urge to go hiking! I was really hoping to meet you - I guess we'll just have to get you down to JSC - do you have a NASA or JPL retiree badge?

Paul

I have a JPL Retiree Badge

Thanks Paul. That slide show Doug put on line is great. I do have a JPL Retiree badge but the badges have been changed I'm told. Maybe we will get to one of the Texas get-togethers next year. I hear they are going to have a race that is not to be missed.

Bob Axsom

Back