What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Vs. ????

bt3vex

So I am to the point where I need to start really thinking avionics. I have 2 Dynon autopilot servos and the Dynon pitot tube. But i am seeing other good avionics out. Is any of what i have compatible? Or should i just stick to one brand?

I love the skyview, but i see that there is more accessories needed to make it all work, i.e. intercoms, auto pilot, etc.... Do the other avionics packages include those, or am i really just dreaming??? Also what is the advantages and disadvantages that I may be missing. Sorry just new to this and need some advice.

There is no simple answer, no "one size fits all" answer.
Dynon is the price leader. Others cost more but give you more. You decide. You need to invest many hours into researching the options.

Well Jeffrey, you have come to teh right place! VAF's Glass Cockpit forum has been goign for over ten years, and is probably the most comprehensive set of threads, postings, and discussions on experimental glass cockpit avionics in one place. There is almost nothign to date that hasn't been discussed, so you mightstart lookign through the archives to capture the full discussions. A new thread will get the ideas of the people here today - by going through the archives, you will get a lot more complete picture of what is out there, by quite a few experts in the field.

Dynon is the price leader. Others cost more but give you more. You decide. You need to invest many hours into researching the options.

In the early days, the price difference was real, but actually, if you price identical systems from all of the major companies, you'll come so close on price that it is a dead heat these days.

But I am 100% agreement that it is worth taking a lot of time to research what works best for each individual - one size does not fit all.

I love the skyview, but i see that there is more accessories needed to make it all work, i.e. intercoms, auto pilot, etc.... Do the other avionics packages include those, or am i really just dreaming???

Jeffrey,
You do not need the Dynon intercom to have a functional intercom with Skyview. I use PS Engineering's PAR100EX combo intercom/VHF as my Radio 1. The combination work great together in my RV-7A. Note: I also added the Skyview VHF as Radio 2 to take advantage of the Map-to-Radio feature...love it!

If you want autopilot, add the Skyview pitch and roll servos. I suspect you'll need to stick with Dynon's servos for that to work.

EMS and ADAHRS probably need to come from Dynon to achieve a properly functioning interface. The Transponder, ADS-B in, and GPS are fantastic, but I suspect you can get that on other systems.

Bottom line: I LOVE my Skyview suite. Have you given Dynon a call to discuss?

bt3vex,
Welcome to VAF!

As Scroll says, you don't have to buy all the various items we sell to make SkyView work.

If you want to just have a primary flight display and autopilot, then all you need to buy is a screen and an AHRS since you already have our servos.

Of course, an airplane generally needs a radio, transponder, engine monitor, intercom, and GPS.

Dynon sells all of those, and generally at prices much lower than you'd get if you went and bought a stand-alone transponder or radio. But you are free to pick any radio, intercom, map, engine monitor that you'd like.

We price all of our devices individually because every airplane is different. For instance, if you want everything but our intercom because you have a one place plane or a 4 place plane, you can do that.

You'll find all the other EFIS vendors price this way too for the same reasons. You are not going to find an avionics company that makes a PFD, EMS, Map, autopilot, transponder, radio, etc all in one box at one low, low price.

Please do give us a call. We'd love to discuss your airplane with you and give you a configuration that will work well for your mission and budget.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

Hey Ian,

Just out of curiosity, what's the level of support from Skyview for the Garmin GTR 200? I know Dynon offers a COM radio and stereo intercom, but I really like the Garmin's "3D" audio feature.

From everything I see and hear, Skyview is excellent. I had originally planned on one. However, if price is an issue, and it was for me, I didn't think I could find a much better value than the GRT Sport SX. It has many of the same capabilities, including engine monitoring, synthetic vision, AOA, free map updates, autopilot control, xm or ads-b weather, etc. It can talk to and send frequencies to my GTR-200, as well. The only thing it doesn't have that I may miss someday is approach plates, but it was never designed for IFR, and I have an iPad anyways. It also requires the separate, stand-alone engine monitor, but that adds redundancy anyways.

GRT support has been great the few times I called them.

Again, just another option to think about, can't go wrong either way.

Chris

Just out of curiosity, what's the level of support from Skyview for the Garmin GTR 200? I know Dynon offers a COM radio and stereo intercom, but I really like the Garmin's "3D" audio feature.

Dale,
SkyView integrates very well with other radios. We can do the following with a GTR 200:

1) Tune the standby to any frequency you see on the SkyView screen
2) Show the status of the radio, such as primary frequency, standby, and RX status on the top of the SkyView screen
3) Tell you what a frequency is. Tune in 120.200 on the GTR 200 via any method when in Seattle and it will say KPAE TWR in the top bar of SkyView.

SkyView_Timer_TopBar.jpg

What you will loose over the Dynon radio is Dynon's exclusive quick tuning features. Take a look at the Dynon radio control panel:

COM-254x400.jpg

On the Dynon radio, if you want an airport's ATIS, just press the ATIS button. Want GND? Just press GND.

With Dynon, this means your flow as you approach a busy airport is to just press ATIS, listen to that, ATC to talk to approach, TWR to talk to them, and then GND when you're leaving the runway. Simple as that. No manual tuning, no digging in menus or screens to look up frequencies.

Make a list

I suggest you make a list and compare features & functions to price. I did that years ago when I was building and Dynon came out on top.

I have since upgraded to a single 10" Dynon system with their AP, ADSB, EMS, and Transponder but kept my iCom A210 radio and Sigtronics 200S intercom. Eventually I will replace those with Dynon's intercom and radio.

Your mission may dictate the screen but for day / night VFR flight, I need / want nothing else. If I were going to upgrade to IFR, I may still not add an additional screen but would need to have a certified nav source.

Check with your local EAA chapter / RV group to see if you can get some stick time behind all the screens you are looking at.

I went full Dynon. I started with the AOA pitot (non heated) & AP servos, then eventually got the Skyview 10" EFIS, XPNDR, EMS, ADS-B, COM and intercom. It does an amazing job, and it just keeps getting better every update. With the Vertcal Power VP-X integration, it is a very clean panel and install.

Eventually, I will add another display, and probably the AP & Knob controls. The only thing it doesn't do is the 2020 GPS requirement, but I'm sure some solution will be available by then. The current ADS-B traffic and weather is an outstanding feature for flying. It really keeps you looking out for all of the traffic that it knows about.

Do you like Red cars or Blue cars (or Honda's or Toyota's)? Both of the most popular systems that the majority of folks are purchasing from Dynon and Garmin are fairly equivalent from a $$ standpoint and from an accessory standpoint. Are there differences? - of course there are, but unless you can get some actual hands one time with both, it's very difficult to use forum opinions (everyone's child is the prettiest, right) to make an objective and personal opinion.

If you get a chance to compare them side by side (stop by our booth at OSH or drop by our shop) it'll make the decision much easier for you. Naturally each mfgr would like you to use their equipment, but if one were perfect for everyone, we wouldn't sell both of them (and lot's of each).

In this instance (and without knowing a lot of other variables as to your situation like budget, IFR/VFR, timeline, history, mission, etc..) I might be inclined to say that since you're already "half pregnant" with the Dynon equipment, then the easiest path the rest of the way down the Rabbit hole is just to go Dynon. There are other slight variations like making the Dynon servos work with AFS, or the Dynon pitot work with the Garmin, but same brand is always preferred if possible. Both companies have good horses in the race right now - I don't have a bigger bet on one over the other right now.

Just my 2 cents as usual,
Stein

Dynon continues to improve and add features at very affordable prices. They're not always the first to come out with new things, but when they do release something, they get it right.

I can't speak for any others because we only sell Dynon but there are plenty of great options available from the other manufacturers as well. Just decide what is important to you and go from there.

I've kept a spreadsheet for the past couple of years with the cost to equip my plane with Dynon, Garmin, GRT, Advanced or steam. Recently I added "piecing it together" with bits & pieces, like a used D180, used Garmon 696, GTR 200, etc. I update it every few months. I'm wondering why I bother.

My original motivation was to find out whose was most cost effective, and compare the cost of a whiz-bang EFIS to going with steam gauges. If you want GPS, autopilot and engine monitoring, the cost of a steam panel (if you include transponder, COM radio, etc) is very close to any of the EFIS systems - within a grand or two, and definitely close enough to not bother going that route.

Based on just my personal preferences, I'm looking mostly at Dynon and Garmin. If I'd placed an order yesterday for all new gear it would have been Dynon. Today it would be Garmin. I have no clue what I'll do when I actually have to commit. They keep leap-frogging each other.

I will say, though, it looks like a guy could buy some used, one generation back equipment, get almost all the functionality of the latest and greatest, and save 5-7 AMUs in the process. That looks awfully attractive... right up until you go play with the latest and greatest.

Sigh...

I went all Dynon and I am totally amazed on every flight! Had a little trouble with Dynon talking to AKG ELT but other than that, perfect!

Don't forget about the long term ownership costs. The Garmin is more expensive to keep the databases updated. I don't remember the exact costs but I remember them to be significantly higher.

Factor in what data is available (and at what cost) if you chose to travel north of the border into Canada. I still don't know what the best choice is when you factor in the lack of cheaply available Canadian data.

Back