What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uncommon View?.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
The neat thing about having an RV that can fly high and fast ? on a Sunday morning ? is that you sometimes get to go places where normally you can?t. Just goes to show that even when surrounded by intimidating Restricted areas on the map, it never hurts to ask?.

P1000847.JPG

Here?s a close-up Louise took from the back seat:
P1000854.JPG

I?m betting a lot of folks can identify it?.

Paul

It's near Axel's Ice Cream Shoppe

15 March, Inyokern Ice Cream Social.

(And there is some interesting flying from the triangular airfield just down the road...)

Iron, we used to call it Chinese Lagoon, that's probably old and corny now. If they won't clear you through the Restricted Areas VFR you can still shoot the "Trona Gap" south and east of the base, right over Trona airport, between the Restricted Areas.

Iron, we used to call it Chinese Lagoon, that's probably old and corny now. If they won't clear you through the Restricted Areas VFR you can still shoot the "Trona Gap" south and east of the base, right over Trona airport, between the Restricted Areas.

I was pointing out the Trona Gap to Louise- who is very familiar with the geology of Trona (on the ground, one of the ugliest places around).

It's pretty normal on the weekend to get "cleared through 2515 at or above 7,000, through 2505 at or above 10,000" - I guess the Navy is more secretive than the Air Force.... usually, I go Bishop - Inyokern, then straight to Big Bear across 2515 if I can get it. Yesterday they cleared us across 2505 while we were over Independence, so that actually took us on the east side of the runways at China Lake when I punched in "Direct". Nice to see a different view for a change.

Came back this morning before they closed down 2515 and after that I had awesome views of Whitney, up close and personal - smooth and no wind.

And the best driving time without pit stops from Dayton to Big Bear is 7.5 hours...compared to apx. 2 hours flying time in any of your RV's. Not bad!

I guess we will have to send a Russian Satellite the VLAD-K version to do a photo RECON of the little heard about lately IRONFLIGHT compound :D

That seems more classified that this little airbase....

I guess we will have to send a Russian Satellite the VLAD-K version to do a photo RECON of the little heard about lately IRONFLIGHT compound :D

That seems more classified that this little airbase....

No good current aerial shots (too hard to shoot in the pattern from an RV-3...), but here is a ground shot for those interested:

P1000808.JPG

The front hangar fascia still had to be painted - that's done now - and we are busy unpacking tools and shop supplies. Oh yes - house is in good shape as well!;)

Nice!

And analyzing this photo I see bait for the Russian! A gas grill for food :D

Glad to see things are coming together Paul. I am sure its been a lot of work, but now seemingly all worth it.

Good luck to you and Louise.

No grass to mow PD?

I guess that means no Kangaroo hazards on your runway either ;)

Goodness, there will never be grass to mow here! But, we do have to worry about wild horses (literally) wandering onto the runway when a fence is down or someone neglects to close a gate. At least they don't jump 4 meters in a single hop!

We're thinking about an open house/fly-in in June but haven't set a date. Any info on what are good or bad dates is now solicited. I'm thinking about June 14th or 15th?

Well,

I you boys (gals) come over to Old Blighty and want a bit of rivet practise, drop me a line.

We are 200 miles north of London in rural Yorkshire.

Google HG3 1QE

Louise,

As dry as it looks there, ya probably don't have to worry about the horses so much either.........:(

Goodness, there will never be grass to mow here! But, we do have to worry about wild horses (literally) wandering onto the runway when a fence is down or someone neglects to close a gate. At least they don't jump 4 meters in a single hop!

We're thinking about an open house/fly-in in June but haven't set a date. Any info on what are good or bad dates is now solicited. I'm thinking about June 14th or 15th?

Horses :eek:

I think that is worse, they are far more flighty and very solid to hit. Fortunately our roo's at YCAB are so aircraft savvy that they stand still on the edges of the runway and watch you land or take off. You often have to backtrack the runway to chase them off the centre. Of course that is where the short fresh growth is and the best grass.....and they know it.

OK how about the Emu. (Pronounced EeeMeww) :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHq1IaO9Xk&feature=player_embedded

Louise,

Pylon Racing Seminar is June 11-14, and ends midday on the 14th. So that might be a great to have the party! I'll divert there after the last run! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Back