Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Job Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2022, 08:59 AM

Default A&P and Transition Training

Looking at pulling the trigger on an RV8A down in Louisiana, and I want to line up my ducks to make sure I get everything sorted correctly with the plane.

First things first, looking for someone to teach me how to keep the wheels side down on landings and such. I’m located in Brooklyn, NY but I’d be willing to travel to someplace fun to fly.

Second person I think I would love to find is an A&P that can walk me through a conditional inspection. Ideally this person would be in the Louisiana area. Airplane needs a conditional before end of August and I’d like to use the conditional as a final inspection of the plane before the purchase is finalized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. New to the community and excited to almost be a part of it!

Last edited by Beejer : 07-05-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:33 AM

Default Join an EAA Chapter

Beejer,

I really canít help you with finding an A & P in the Louisiana area, but once you get the plane up north, Iíd recommend you join a local EAA chapter. Most members are extremely knowledgeable and enjoy sharing their love of aviation. I belong to EAA chapter 643 based at Sky Manor airport (N40) in Pittstown, NJ. We have a lot of RVíS based there and itís a great bunch of pilots with many, many years of experience.

Jim
Old 07-06-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejer View Post
Looking at pulling the trigger on an RV8A down in Louisiana, and I want to line up my ducks to make sure I get everything sorted correctly with the plane.

First things first, looking for someone to teach me how to keep the wheels side down on landings and such. Iím located in Brooklyn, NY but Iíd be willing to travel to someplace fun to fly.

Second person I think I would love to find is an A&P that can walk me through a conditional inspection. Ideally this person would be in the Louisiana area. Airplane needs a conditional before end of August and Iíd like to use the conditional as a final inspection of the plane before the purchase is finalized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. New to the community and excited to almost be a part of it!
You should consider carefully your desire to combine a condition inspection with an acceptance inspection. It's a worthy goal but fraught with opportunities for failure and frustration. If you decide to go that route, use a professional shop and let them manage the entire thing soup-nuts. Let them identify any airworthiness issues and have an agreement in writing that requires the seller to either fix them at the seller's costs or allows you to back out of the deal without penalty.
RV-8 N184RK (sold)
Currently flying a Pitts S-2E

Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 07-06-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk770 View Post
Beejer,

I really canít help you with finding an A & P in the Louisiana area, but once you get the plane up north, Iíd recommend you join a local EAA chapter. Most members are extremely knowledgeable and enjoy sharing their love of aviation. I belong to EAA chapter 643 based at Sky Manor airport (N40) in Pittstown, NJ. We have a lot of RVíS based there and itís a great bunch of pilots with many, many years of experience.

Jim
Note that getting transition training in your new-to-you RV-8a may be a challenge. Unless there is a complete set of flight controls in the back seat (including full authority rudders and brakes), you may have a hard time convincing a CFI to train you in the plane. I would not. Most insurance companies will allow you to get transition training in a side-by-side (RV-6, 7) to satisfy their requirements for the RV-8(a).
RV-8 N184RK (sold)
Currently flying a Pitts S-2E

Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through March 2025
Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 AM

Default Feeling very welcomedÖ

Big thanks to Jim and Randy for the advice. Certainly some things in there I had not considered.

I will definitely be including something to the effect that stuff needs to be fixed or accounted for in the price in the purchase inspection. Really good idea there.

Iíll also be joining that a local EAA chapter. Planning on parking the plane at Morristown or Essex County. If nothing else I can always fly over for events or meetings. Any excuse to fly and talk airplanes!

I think I found my guy for transition training. Gonna be training in a RV7A. Side by side so that he can take my hands off the controls before I really do something dumb. Any really different characteristics I should prepare my mind for between an 8 and a 7? Is there any benefit to requesting that I should fly in the right seat (hands being correct)?

Again thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:00 AM

Couple of things:
  • I'd separate out the the pre-buy inspection from the Condition Inspection. They are not necessarily the same thing.
  • Not all AP/IA's are qualified to do a good pre-buy inspection, or even a Condition Inspection, of a Van's RV
  • An AP/IA can walk you through a Condition Inspection and show you how to do it, but you can't actually do one and sign off on it unless you yourself are an AP/IA
  • The best and most helpful pre-buy inspections might well be from someone who is NOT an AP/IA
  • Not all EAA chapters will be helpful to you as a maintenance resource for your RV. They come with widely varying levels of knowledge of specific experimental aircraft lines.

I would (did) focus on finding someone VERY knowledgeable in RVs for the pre-buy. Someone like Vic Syracuse, for example.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 07-06-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
SNIP…Any really different characteristics I should prepare my mind for between an 8 and a 7? Is there any benefit to requesting that I should fly in the right seat (hands being correct)?
The main difference between the 8 and 7 will be the CG shift when flying the 8 with a passenger. As this would be down the road for you, you should find the two planes very similar.

Do not worry about left/right hand sticks. I alternated between and 8A and a 10 for a few years. No issue at all.

The real question is what are you flying now? If you are doing the standard old school Cessna you will have many bad habits to break - the biggest one being to not land on the nose gear. The nose gear is there for taxi only. Ride the mains as best you can on takeoff and landing. The next will be getting too slow on approach and using bottom rudder to correct for mistakes. This is how you end up upside down very close to the ground. Discuss this with your instructor and get some hard rules put down for how you manage speed. After you gain experience you can refine.

Where in Louisiana is the 8A located?

Carl
Old 07-06-2022, 12:14 PM

Default Small correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Couple of things:
[*]An AP/IA can walk you through a Condition Inspection and show you how to do it, but you can't actually do one and sign off on it unless you yourself are an AP/IA
For an EAB, the condition inspection can be signed off by (1) an original builder with a limited repairman certificate, or (2) an A&P. An IA is not required.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:

First things first, looking for someone to teach me how to keep the wheels side down on landings and such. Iím located in Brooklyn, NY but Iíd be willing to travel to someplace fun to fly.
Before you go to Louisiana to pick up your new pride and joy (and perhaps while the inspections are underway) proceed directly to 81D in Angelton TX (just south of Houston). There you will find one Bruce Bohannon who can teach you all you need, and far more, about flying the RV8. He has a specimen with full controls in the rear and will safely and confidently guide you to proficiency.

You can contact Bruce at (281) 88 niner-8078. Many positive testimonials available on VAF using search.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy!
Peter
Old 07-06-2022, 06:50 PM

Default where in LA?

where is it in Louisiana? I may can help get you hooked up with an A&P if its in the northern end of the state. PM me if you prefer.