Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Whether you carry hull or not might influence your thinking during that emergency approach and landing -- just sayin'.....
The plane is replaceable... my life is not. Losing the plane is not the end of the world, losing my life, is. I can always buy another plane, even if I wad the hull. As long as I don't crater or flip and get pinned in upside down trapped by a canopy and unable to crack and chip out of the canopy.
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 04-07-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:30 PM

I lost a seaplane when it got swamped on a rough water lake that I probably shouldnít have been on. I had liability only. When it came time to pop my life vest and get out I wasnít thinking about financial loss. I was more concerned about saving my dumass!😝
Old 04-08-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I lost a seaplane when it got swamped on a rough water lake that I probably shouldnít have been on. I had liability only. When it came time to pop my life vest and get out I wasnít thinking about financial loss. I was more concerned about saving my dumass!😝
Iím an awful person for finding humor in your loss, but itís a bit ironic that someone who lives in the desert, in a landlocked state lost an airplane in a boating accident.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:31 PM

The best part is that a great looking blonde in a black bikini fished me out of the lake on to her speedboat. The story is much funnier now than it was 18 years ago floating in Lake Mohave a mile and a half from shore.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:32 PM

Just got my quote with AIG: $2541

That's with $225k hull, PPASEL, instrument, Rotor wing (H) and glider rating with over 2000 hours.

-Marc
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 PM

Why such a huge hull coverage? I have 65K hull coverage and a million liability for about 1K per year. I hold an ATP and MEII with 100 hrs in the 12. In the 80s when I got my PPL I was paying the same for a Cherokee 180. Seems like getting the ratings kept up with inflation. When I had a Yak-52 as a PIR I was paying 2K per year with 60 K hull coverage. The next year I dropped hull coverage and my premium dropped to $350 per year!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:45 PM

Oops! 1000 hrs in the 12. Makes a difference with the insurance guys!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Why such a huge hull coverage?r!
Itís for a -10.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Why such a huge hull coverage?
Because if there is an incident where it will cost $160k to repair my plane, the insurance company could buy and I would be paid far less than it's worth - or I'd be stuck with a huge repair bill if I wanted to keep it as the insurance company won't pay to repair beyond a certain dollar amount.

I agree that it's a fine line we have to negotiate but I know what it cost to have airframe repairs made. A minor incident could easily pay for the last 5 years of insurance payments.

10 years ago I owned a 2005 C-172 and a fuel truck hit the wing while it was tied down. It was pretty minor damage to the leading edge but it cost $14k to repair and took 3 months! That was back when things were less expensive compared to today.

-Marc
Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 PM

Default 45% premium increase

Just received my new premium for the yr and I was shocked. On my RV4 that I have been flying for 10 yrs, no accidents and have owned numerous planes over the last 40 years my premium went from $1113 a yr to $1618 or a 45% increase.

That is full coverage, in motion and 2m liability.

No complaints on the old premium but that kind of increase is insane.

I'm in Canada and we have less options here to chose from but will start looking in the morning.

Tim

Last edited by riobison : 04-13-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: mistake