What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanking the plane

Do you thank the plane after a flight?

• Always

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Never

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Only if she didn't "act up"

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
After attending the America's Cup races (and getting totally hooked), my wife and I were entranced by the commentator's discussion of "thanking the boat" (the US team were seen doing this at the end of the regatta). Seems it's some sort of nautical "tradition", as described here:

"Often defended as simple good manners, many sailors will make a point of thanking their boats as they step off, often touching the bow. This relates to the bond many sailors develop with their boats, and is done ... as a mark of respect and friendship for a vessel who has kept them alive and well..."

I like this idea, and realized I had sort of been unconsciously doing this with a gentle pat on the spinner after a flight. Since hearing this, I think it's a neat idea, and make a point to "thank the plane" after each flight with a pat and "thank you, girl" to the plane.

Who else "thanks the plane" after a flight? :)

My answer: "None of the above." I've given a bird an affectionate pat once or twice. usually when the bird was a better airplane than I was pilot.

"Old Hack" does it in Rick Durden's book "The Thinking Pilot's Flight Manual."

Last edited:
Note: I am not an aviation historian, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. . . . . .
Although a lot of terms in aviation come from boats ("port" and "starboard", outer shape is called "loft", horizontal section planes are called "waterlines", etc) many of the traditions do not seem to come from boats. Maybe that is because in the military aviation, it started as part of the Army, a bitter rival to the Navy.

I remember a long time ago on an episode of Wings (the comedy based in Nantucket), the main character put his hand on the airplane and said something to that effect, like the plane really was alive. I thought at that moment maybe I wasn't so weird after all!

I often thank the plane... not as outwardly as the sailors, but when I put them in the hangar for the night or tie them down, there is something much different going on in my heart than when I park my car.

not sure if this qualifies but whenever we load software on a 787, we gently pat the dash and make nice. Seems to take software better that way:D

My answer: "None of the above." I've given a bird an affectionate pat once or twice. usually when the bird was a better airplane than I was pilot.

"Old Hack" does it in Rick Durden's book "The Thinking Pilot's Flight Manual."

I'm in your boat (hmmm, is that a good word choice?) Ken. I enjoy cleaning the bugs off the plane after a good flight and just spending 20-30 minutes savoring the flight with the plane. No explicit thanks is given to the plane.

Now I will note, my wife who loves to clean, just doesn't understand this. She wants to hop in the car and go on to the next thing. In her opinion, I need to schedule time to wash the plane.

BUGGS OFF !

YUCK ! BUG'S on my RV-8 or any plane I own get Removed as soon as I land . Besides they are still FRESH ! / Soft , and remove with just plane old WATER ! It also gives me time to rub her down like the Wonderful Steed that She is . :D . I love my RV-8 and She knows it ! :) And as I close the hanger door , I can hear Her sing " Ain't No Bug's on Me ----- Ain't No Bug's on Me ---- might be Bug's on some of you mug's -- BUT thier AIN'T NO BUG"S ON ME ------------ !

Last edited:
Interesting!!!

You know I never thought of that this way because I been looking at the machine I fly, ride or drive as a tool for transport and fun and it didn't even cross my mind to thank a tool for doing the work.

Many years ago I have learned something interesting from an old aviator who had over 14,000hrs in the logbook and when you flew with him you always heard him utter a very short, barely audible prayer,"Lord skill my hands". That was all but really stuck with me.

So now I kind of do the same you guys describe in thanking your plane. When getting off the plane I thank the Lord for a skilled and safe flight. I have now over 10,000hrs and I can tell some stories....... It has been awesome!!!

Many happy landing ya'll

I clean my plane before and after every flight, also I give him a kiss on spinner after leave him alone in his hangar:D

The Cessna 172 (a leaseback / FBO rental) in which I first soloed, and also passed my checkride, had a "Thank You" card in the glovebox. The card was addressed to the airplane itself, and was filled with the signatures of students who passed their checkrides in this plane over the years. Neither myself nor my CFI had ever heard of such a tradition, but the day I passed my checkride, I added my name to the card and put it away back in the glovebox.

Last edited:
Thanking the ol'girl.

😘💋👍

Most of the time, Yes.

Sure there's gratitude for safely returning and admiration of the aircraft's ability and nice lines but for me it's something else too.

Not so much as a means of affection but rather as a moment of reflection.

That's to say, it's a post flight review or short assessment. Taking a moment to review the flight. It is a habit passed down from aviators before me. A ritual of pausing and reliving the flight afterwards to learn lessons and carry those good experiences into future.

The symbolic "thank you" or "love tap," for me, that micro moment in which the old noodle recalls the journey just experienced. Doesn't have to be a long drawn out process.

That's most of the time. Other times I forget and I have a remedial lesson later because I didn't listen the first time. Hahah :rolleyes:

Woof!

And I always ask "do you want to go flying?" when I arrive.

Isn't this like asking a dog if it wants to go for a walk, or eat, or do whatever? If my dog was a plane, she'd be barking right now wanting to go fly and do her favorite thing!

(yes, girl, let's go for a walk! ... still pounding rivets)

Back