Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Interesting thread, the individual Cree LEDs (in the Squadron light) are around $10 from Mouser - so the housing is clearly expensive to produce... (Datasheet here)
They have a large viewing angle, so I'm guessing would need a reflector to produce a focussed beam. The typical forward voltage is 2.85 to 3.3 v - but they would work from a constant current source - so some kind of control electronics black magic would be necessary. So $200+ for electronics, reflectors and a housing - anyone have any suggestions?

Or how about these from Rigid Industries - $200 for a pair - heavy, but the housing looks much larger than we would need so could be cut down?

Peter

Last edited by penguin : 12-29-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 PM

Has anyone considered just using one of the DX flashlights? A soldering iron & a couple of Adel clamps & it should be good to go. :-)

Charlie
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Just as a data point, I have had these lights installed for about 2.5 months and have about 20 flight hours on them. They are still performing flawlessly. I added a wig-wag controller a little over a month ago. I get comments all the time about how I stand out in the sky, especially in the pattern. There isn't any noticeable interference in any of my antennas (NAV/COM/GPS) when these run in either always-on mode or wig-wag mode.

About a year ago I purchased some of the Cree XML-T6 LED's off of DealExtreme (DX). I was quite impressed with the brightness of them, however one cooked itself on my bench. I built a head-sink for the other one I purchased but I could never build one substantial enough that would control the temperature to a reasonable level. That's when I gave up on the DX LED's and decided to go with a packaged LED solution. Sure, the Baja Design LED's are more expensive than the DX's, but they are plenty bright and are backed up by a great company with a lifetime warranty. Also, from my comparison, the Baja Designs output BLOW the socks off of the DX's!!
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM

In 55BC I have four of the DX lights, and have had no thermal issues. I'm sure there are variations of drivers used since these things are made in China. I guess I may have lucked out. They're so crazy bright on final into our grass strip I can flip them on and start seeing the runway about 1/4 mile out in the pitch black. Absolutely love the LED landing lights. Two would be good enough but having four is awesome.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Default LED Lights

This is my solution to the heat issue. I added a heavier copper fitting from Home Depot. Then thermal glued a heat sink from a remote controlled motor to the copper fitting. I have about +50 hours of continuous wigwag on them, no problems. They weigh about half a pound, close to the GE's they replaced. Thanks to Rocket Bob and others, I didn't design this light, only refined it a bit.

Hope it helps,
Tony

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Rigid 2x2's

I'm using the Rigid 2x2's using the spot focus beams. About a 2oz penalty per unit vs the halogen units I was planning. Brackets got a smidge lighter. I sectioned off the outside fin on both sides of the castings of the Rigid units and riveted to the remaining fins.

I did a four hour blink test, and the power supply didn't get remotely hot at 14.5 volts. Using the lab equipment at work, I found the power supply noise to be next to nothing (deep cycle bat at the end of 50' of 16ga). Pretty happy overall.

I'll PIREP in the spring when the **** thing finally flies.

Rick
2011-2021 VAF contributor
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 AM

found this LED flashlight on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Trustfire-5-mo...Electric+Torch

from the photos it looks like it has the same LED module in the head as some of the other units talked about. I saw several other flashlights that all look like they have the same part but different bodies. I know that a lot of products that come out of China will use a common part that is made by one factory. It also looks like they made this light with a nice heatsink as part of the housing that holds the LED assembly.

At $16 I ordered one to play with. At the very least I will have a cool flashlight.
FYI: if you are thinking of buying one, be aware that price does not include the batteries. It needs 3 Li-ion 18650 batteries.

I'll post more when I get the light.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicarver View Post
found this LED flashlight on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Trustfire-5-mo...Electric+Torch

from the photos it looks like it has the same LED module in the head as some of the other units talked about. I saw several other flashlights that all look like they have the same part but different bodies. I know that a lot of products that come out of China will use a common part that is made by one factory. It also looks like they made this light with a nice heatsink as part of the housing that holds the LED assembly.

At $16 I ordered one to play with. At the very least I will have a cool flashlight.
FYI: if you are thinking of buying one, be aware that price does not include the batteries. It needs 3 Li-ion 18650 batteries.

I'll post more when I get the light.
Nice, only it says the voltage is 3.7v and I wonder how this will work with the 12V system in our plane?
Dues paid
Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Nice, only it says the voltage is 3.7v and I wonder how this will work with the 12V system in our plane?
Power Source:
- 2 x 18650 3.7V Rechargeable Batteries(As a 230mm long flashlight).
- 3 x 18650 3.7V Rechargeable Batteries(AS a ultra-long 293mm flashlight).

Since it seems to run on two voltages, there must be current regulators involved.

Three batteries are 11.1 volts, so perhaps 14 volts input shouldn't blow anything up.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Question Beam width

The specs for most of these flashlight devices seem to be written in Chinese -

"Output bright can achieve to to be 3800 lumen"

But I have seen no mention of beam width.

The "standard" certified incandescent aircraft landing lights are about 10 degrees beam spread.

How do the flashlight ones compare?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ