What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does any one know why ECI is not filling orders?

#N72CR

Well Known Member
I ordered, and put a deposit down on an ECI engine kit on 12/31/2008. My builder still has not received the parts.

When I ordered the engine, the agreement was a March 2009 delivery. The last info I received, on May 5th, is they have no idea when ECI will send the kit to them, and for me to check back in with them in June. What is going on. Chris
#N72CR

Last edited:
Supplier problems

My neighbor has an ECI on order. It was supposed to be built at Sun n' Fun but there is a delay. Apparently they have some outside supplier delays.

Contact those recommended by Doug. They will update you with an honest assessment of what is going on.

I ordered, and put a deposit down on an ECI engine kit on 12/31/2008. My builder still has not received the parts.

I'm not going to disclose the builder, until I have more information from the rest of you who have ordered an ECI engine over the last 6 months. The builder is well know and advertise's on Vansairforce.com

When I ordered the engine, the agreement was a March 2009 delivery. The last info I received, on May 5th, is they have no idea when ECI will send the kit to them, and for me to check back in with them in June.

Please help me understand what is going on.

Chris
#N72CR

Deliveries from ECI

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but it might be an issue with camshafts. I don't know if ECI used Crane or not for their cams. Lycoming did. When suppliers close their doors, it can take some significant time to identify an alternate supplier and get them up and running. The production process definitely slows down.

I had Joe Trampota with ECI on the phone about 2 weeks ago asking a few questions, and he mentioned that the delays are due to cases not being delivered to them. He alluded to some type of connection between now-defunct Superior and the vendor that supplies cases to ECI, and this was the source of the problem. He did tell me that he expected that to unravel itself relatively soon.

I've been waiting for ECI to deliver a 360 kit to my assembler for 10 weeks. At first I was told ECI had run out of sumps. Now I hear they don't have connecting rods.

Dave Woboril

I can not speek for ECI, but D.R. is correct on this one. I have known Joe to get up from his desk go out to the stock room and send me a part When I have called to tell him it was not in the kit. If he had it on hand. If it was still being held up by a Sub. he has always been strait up.. With Sup- Fortworth going to the big boys. The little suplyers are in a spin.. things are backed up and may not get lined out for some time.. Call for your peace of mind its a 1-800 number, they will not bite. Even good people have bad days. Thats what makes them good they keep tring to work through it!!!!

I too have an ECi engine on order. I contacted Tim Morland, the Western Territory Manager, and here is what he had to say:

"We have suffered delivery problems on crankcases and bearings as the slowdown in the auto industry has adversely affected their/our suppliers, thus affecting us in our low-volume industry. We have seen improvement this past month on some parts but crankcases remain the largest problem. The crankcase machine shop is in the middle of an ownership change and we are working with both old/new ownership to get our parts moving again. Believe me when I tell you it is a high priority for all parties."

Update: May 20th, 2009

Got this today,

Great news!!!

Chris

Joe Trampota
Central Territory Manager
800-324-2359
210-820-8148
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
To: Tim MorlandSubject:
FW: Website Contact Form Submission

Chris, Your Engine Kit shipped to Eagle on 5/13. I just spoke to Linda @ Eagle and it should be arriving at their location today. Sorry for the delay however working with vendors in supplying critical components and increase sales has contributed to the delay.

Wait over

The 10-week wait I reported earlier in the thread is coming to an end. I learned that the ECI kit is on its way to my assembler. It does look like ECI is working hard to deal with supply chain problems - I've had only a minor delay given what I hear they're up against.

Dave Woboril

I received my engine today during lunch from Eagle Engine.:D:D:D I'll Open the box tonight to look inside. The box has no damage, so I'm pretty sure there will be no suprise's when I look inside tonight.

file.php

Nearly 5 months and still waiting

I ordered a kit ECI engine through a vendor that advertises here. I had to pay in full up front to lock in before the price increase. Order was placed first of April. Still no engine. I haven't seen anybody mention the delay issue in some time, so I'm starting to wonder if I'm being taken advantage of. Is anybody else in same boat?

Grant Cassady

it's on the truck!

after several months the eci kit is on the truck and delivery is promised for Friday, sept. 11. Exciting.
RV9A Bill

Today I finished up installing my Vettermen Exhaust System. This is the 4 pipe system required with the ECI XIO360 Horz (cold Air) induction System. As with anyone ordering the Cold Air option, be sure to get the 7 degree slump. So far there are no clearence issues, and the Kit was complete (including 1 extra AN washer).

file.php

Back