Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Autopilots
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Unhappy Static Port Cracks Digiflight II Control Head

I noticed a couple of large cracks at the static port location at the rear of my DigiflightII control head. This was discovered after noticing a leak in the static system during a test.

These cracks are sizeable and the plastic block at the back of the control head is bulged at both fitting locations. These deformities were not present at the time fittings were installed in the rear of the control head. There is very little material between the edge of the port and the side of the plastic block (less than 1/32”) on one side. The holes are not centered in the block.

Fittings were installed in the control head hand tight without sealant or Teflon tape. The aircraft is parked in the garage at my home in So California and we do have warm day time temperatures in the summer time. The temperature may have played into this, but the garage temperatures at my home are no different than the aircraft would experience in our hanger.

I'm going to contact Trutrak Monday about this. Has anyone else had this problem. Does TRUTRAK service these units, or do I need to contact my Avionics dealer for service?

Last edited by Tedtheflyer : 09-19-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Default TruTrak will replace the black part.

I had the same problem due to over tightening.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Trutrak

Call Lucas at Trutrak Flight Systems and get an RMA from him. They will fix it with out any problems. It is very easy to repair. We stock these connectors just for that reason.

Alex
Old 09-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedtheflyer View Post
I noticed a couple of large cracks at the static port location at the rear of my DigiflightII control head. This was discovered after noticing a leak in the static system during a test.

These cracks are sizeable and the plastic block at the back of the control head is bulged at both fitting locations. These deformities were not present at the time fittings were installed in the rear of the control head. There is very little material between the edge of the port and the side of the plastic block (less than 1/32?) on one side. The holes are not centered in the block.

Fittings were installed in the control head hand tight without sealant or Teflon tape. The aircraft is parked in the garage at my home in So California and we do have warm day time temperatures in the summer time. The temperature may have played into this, but the garage temperatures at my home are no different than the aircraft would experience in our hanger.

I'm going to contact Trutrak Monday about this. Has anyone else had this problem. Does TRUTRAK service these units, or do I need to contact my Avionics dealer for service?
Alex D is correct, just give me a call and we'll get you taken care of. This problem was due to the type of material used to mold the blocks. We have redesigned it and it won't happen to your repaired unit. We can also update the software at the same time. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Wink Thank You!

Lucas, The control head is on it's way to you. I appreciate the honesty and customer service. That says alot! Thanks to all for the help!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Ping. Me too. Just got back from my 2yr pitot/static cert. Big fat static leak in the TruTrak A/P head. My "logistics officer" had an RMA from Lucas without a problem. Mine doesn't have a visible crack, but it must be there. Definitely not due to over tightening in this case.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM

A common problem and happened to me. A quick RMA to TT and all is well...
N199AD One Design...SOLD
N99AD BD4, flew for 22 years...SOLD
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

i just had a cert also.....GUESS WHAT.........NO LEAKS
Old 06-30-2021, 04:46 PM

Default Source?

Is there a source for the new manifold blocks now that Trutrak has been taken over by Bendix King?
Old 06-30-2021, 04:55 PM

You bet!

MidContinent stocks them.
www.BendixKing.com
TruTrak

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS - undergoing complete overhaul!!!
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420