What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar size

BrianP

I’ve ordered a RV 10 kit and am planning to buy an RV8 to fly aerobatics. I’m looking at buying a hangar with interior dimensions of 43x34 and am trying to figure out if both will fit. Does anyone know if the rear edge of the wing on an RV8 is low enough to fit under the horizontal stabilizer of an RV10?

Attachments

• 95D826A2-A242-4665-947D-4AEF4858BEB6.jpeg
    95D826A2-A242-4665-947D-4AEF4858BEB6.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 138
Under the HS? Yes, it'll fit. The HS of the -10 is 5' off the ground.

The 8's wing won't fit under the -10's fuselage except maybe at the very aft end.

I haven't done the overlays for this situation, but would suggest you look at angling the -10 into the top right corner (on your drawing). I think you'll have an easier time that way.

Last edited:
I'll let others comment on whether or not that combination will fit.

I'll just say, if there is anyway to make the hangar dimensions larger...do it!

My new to me hangar interior dimensions are 51' 8" x 34' 5". The width is fine but the depth is just not enough. I can't get a high wing and an RV-14 in there without gymnastics and 2 high wings...forget about it. Every time I use the hangar, I wish it was 10' deeper.

I'll let others comment on whether or not that combination will fit.

I'll just say, if there is anyway to make the hangar dimensions larger...do it!

My new to me hangar interior dimensions are 51' 8" x 34' 5". The width is fine but the depth is just not enough. I can't get a high wing and an RV-14 in there without gymnastics and 2 high wings...forget about it. Every time I use the hangar, I wish it was 10' deeper.

LOL. My RV-10 is 24'5" long. The hangar is 24'8" deep.

Keeps me on my toes. ;-)

Under the HS? Yes, it'll fit. The HS of the -10 is 5' off the ground.

The 8's wing won't fit under the -10's fuselage except maybe at the very aft end.

I haven't done the overlays for this situation, but would suggest you look at angling the -10 into the top right corner (on your drawing). I think you'll have an easier time that way.

That actually looks like a much better solution. Thanks

Attachments

• 06F585A7-5A49-4985-B711-60639B30BFD3.jpeg
    06F585A7-5A49-4985-B711-60639B30BFD3.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 107
I have been involved in packing hangars with various airplanes for a lot of years. What you can do in theory with cut outs is often a big challenge in real life. There's significant risk of hangar rash if you don't have sufficient space to easily walk around the perimeter of the hangar as well as between the planes. you might want room for shelves and a tool box as well. Give your self as much space as you can.

That works too.

IMO, that's your best bet. Straight in and straight out with the -8. As long as you keep close to your centerline, the only thing you need to watch is the rudder on the -8.

On the -10, you probably want to give yourself "walkaround" space to get past both wingtips. Both for maintenance access and for hangar rash avoidance.

I think your -10 and your -8 will both fit in the 10-angled, 8-straight configuration with reasonable clearance everywhere.

It's helpful to put marks on the floor where the tires should go. A friend painted lines on the floor to guide the planes in when I put my plane in the hangar with his and that was especially convenient. On my hangar, I just have marks on the floor for the tires and that's plenty when we have more than one plane there.

Dave

I’ve ordered a RV 10 kit and am planning to buy an RV8 to fly aerobatics. I’m looking at buying a hangar with interior dimensions of 43x34 and am trying to figure out if both will fit. Does anyone know if the rear edge of the wing on an RV8 is low enough to fit under the horizontal stabilizer of an RV10?

Since you ordered a -10 kit and therefore you are going to be builder, by the time you have both airplanes fully assembled you no doubt will have work benches, cabinets, and many free standing tools in the hangar. Plus being a builder you will no doubt be doing your own maintenance and even plenty of tinkering around the airplanes. That requires space around the plane to do. I would go with a bigger hangar or at least know if you can upgrade to bigger hangar when time comes of having both airplanes fully assembled. I have found width (and width of door) is more import than depth especially if both aircraft are flying as it greatly simplifies moving them in and out.

Back