What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (6/3-4/2023)

I spent most of the weeking in the sim. RV looks at me longingly from across the room....

Did anyone do any RVating this weekend?

v/r,dr

I wish.....:mad:

Spent 4th weekend waiting for my newly OH'd propeller (09/22) to return from a factory rework of the bearings and races because it started throwing grease at 25hrs.:eek:

Last edited:
Total Poopstorm

On Friday, flew the -10 to Sulphur Springs Texas to drop our 12 year old off with his grandparents and a cousin for a week. It went downhill from there.

Experienced a starter (failure to turn the prop) issue until the engine cooled.

Then when it did start, found a failed mag on runup.

Airplane (minus the failed mag) is sitting on the ramp in Sulphur Springs. Dunno if it was hurt or not in yesterday's hail storms in the area. I'll probably call the FBO tomorrow to inquire.

Spent a fortune getting the wife and I home yesterday. The TSA found the mag quite interesting.

Planning an airplane rescue mission this Friday.

Left my -7 with the paint shop...glad to get it painted, sad to leave it for so long :eek:

Attachments

• paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 114
Kyle, if you think I can help in anyway feel free to reach out. I’m based about a 20 minute flight from Sulphur Springs.

Kindest,
Doug

On Friday, flew the -10 to Sulphur Springs Texas to drop our 12 year old off with his grandparents and a cousin for a week. It went downhill from there.

Experienced a starter (failure to turn the prop) issue until the engine cooled.

Then when it did start, found a failed mag on runup.

Airplane (minus the failed mag) is sitting on the ramp in Sulphur Springs. Dunno if it was hurt or not in yesterday's hail storms in the area. I'll probably call the FBO tomorrow to inquire.

Spent a fortune getting the wife and I home yesterday. The TSA found the mag quite interesting.

Planning an airplane rescue mission this Friday.

Oil change, topped off brake fluid, and removed prop governor. Governor was leaking oil through the shaft. And it was beginning to leave puddles on the ground. It was last overhauled in 2015 and has about 700 hours since OH at MT in Deland FL. Don’t know if they’ll overhaul it again. It’s been in service for 16 years/1800 hours. I’ll call them tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_9301.jpg
    IMG_9301.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 125
Did a recon flight this morning to check out a place I and a friend are going fishing on Tuesday. The little lake in the upper left part of the picture has no public access, but has good fishing. We will put a canoe in the larger lake (lower right), and plan to cross into the smaller where the red arrows are.

For those who are curious, the larger lake (most of which is not in the picture) is Devil's Lake (MN), the smaller one is Little Devil's Lake, 2 miles off the departure end of 31 at the Perham MN airport.

Attachments

• little Devils Lake zoom.jpg
    little Devils Lake zoom.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 134
KTEW - KBRL

My wife and I went on our first overnight trip to Nauvoo IL. It is about 390 miles and we had a great flight. Just over 2 hours each way. I worked on my flight following skills and enjoyed that part of it more than I expected.

We flew into KBRL Burlington IA. The FBO - Jet Air was great to work with. There is a Avis car rental at the airport and they had a hangar for our plane for the 2 nights.

I planned the trip around winds so we would have a smooth flight. I do not want to freak my wife out with a bumpy ride and cross wind landings. It was perfect. It was a little hazy but smooth at 6500 there and 5500 back. Averaged about 9.8 gph. I am still learning to lean it but getting better.

All in all it was a great trip. My wife enjoyed the flight and watched downloaded podcasts most of the way. But if you go to Nauvoo - there is only one place to eat and it is a very small hamburger place. Closest real restaurants are in Burlington or Keokuk.

Attachments

• KTEW TO KBRL.jpg
    KTEW TO KBRL.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 103
First Pilots n Pups

Saturday, 1 of four folks legs to get a rescue to her furever home. Small cage, 22x14x13 nested nicely just leaving the seat back home.

Nice having a coordinator watching flightaware keeping us all updated. Made my first time easy.

Attachments

• 16858072775080.jpg
    16858072775080.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 16858072780411.jpg
    16858072780411.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 131
  • piper home.jpg
    piper home.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 113
Watched it rain

It has actually been raining here in Colorado. Enough I can't get the plane out. Very odd!

Blue skies all

Geoff

Found my alternator problem and got the kiddos out of the house.

Attachments

• 13FEBBE3-1874-403C-A782-AA70ABBEBA1F.jpg
    13FEBBE3-1874-403C-A782-AA70ABBEBA1F.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 26C17DDD-2691-4D1C-A5FA-394EDF8ADF43.jpg
    26C17DDD-2691-4D1C-A5FA-394EDF8ADF43.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 705BEC66-6D93-41AC-A83A-4072CB284957.jpg
    705BEC66-6D93-41AC-A83A-4072CB284957.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 93
  • D6272D2B-3CAD-4FB5-B969-CCFAEDBBE5CA.jpg
    D6272D2B-3CAD-4FB5-B969-CCFAEDBBE5CA.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 112
Tanks calibrated

Started/finished calibrating my capacitive fuel sensor equipped tanks. All seams to be accurate and functioning well. Since I calibrated in a level flight attitude I also made a calibrated fuel dipstick for the 3 pt attitude while I'm on the ground. New school electronic sensors backed up with old school wooden dowel and pen marks!

PXL_20230605_012407676.jpg

More painting

Painted more parts, wing inspection covers. Prepped and primed upper and lower cowl for final paint in the next 48 hours. Fuselage into the paint booth by next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 89
Oil change, topped off brake fluid, and removed prop governor. Governor was leaking oil through the shaft. And it was beginning to leave puddles on the ground. It was last overhauled in 2015 and has about 700 hours since OH at MT in Deland FL. Don’t know if they’ll overhaul it again. It’s been in service for 16 years/1800 hours. I’ll call them tomorrow.

Typically dirt gets down the side of the top cover and causes damage to the o-ring. This can also cause wear on the internal bore of the cover. If you can identify the part number of the seal, you can probably replace that quite quickly and easily, but to do so you'll also need a gasket for the cover-to-body mating surfaces. Its not a difficult job to accomplish but make sure you mark the position of the top cover and its relative position to the body so you place it back in the correct orientation. Otherwaise you might find the level 60 degrees out from where you want it to be... and have to do the job twice. :(

Typically dirt gets down the side of the top cover and causes damage to the o-ring. This can also cause wear on the internal bore of the cover. If you can identify the part number of the seal, you can probably replace that quite quickly and easily, but to do so you'll also need a gasket for the cover-to-body mating surfaces. Its not a difficult job to accomplish but make sure you mark the position of the top cover and its relative position to the body so you place it back in the correct orientation. Otherwaise you might find the level 60 degrees out from where you want it to be... and have to do the job twice. :(

Thank you ver much Mike. I just might get motivated to do it myself!

Cheers,

Jerry

Pilots N Paws - First dog bite!

Had a Pilots N Paws flight Saturday scheduled with 2 passengers from Decatur, AL (KDCU) to Enterprise, AL (KEDN). One of of the pooches decided he didn't like me for some reason and showed me by biting me 3 times! Drew a good bit of blood. Needless to say he was not allowed to board! Not mad a the dog - you just don't know what he's been through on his way to rescue. Guess the statistics finally caught up with me!

The remaining passenger - a beagle named "Thumper" had a pleasant flight down to Enterprise to meet the next leg pilot down to rescue in FL.

2ZBI7Tdx7SzkAOueKe2i0DpXGOgmMN4uL7yaRhmKpGnU1pcK0fMRhWvolG2OiLOWFYF5PE_al_1OSM530Nbo5jyP1LQUlFd7w7iPAtMJnAyP8amHTNvedWqgVpHPC8iEKRIfrPwrI5lpB1mFtxxhYbm9ymQ8-UZsr4XagdBa28PRM5zNhqoWIm2oYrw4x6D_4dfIZmnzMFKkl7Dyi4xm132ebxP56KvVFdbMQcIjpCX9gDqZA0NV-YXpZJQng9bMtJaKro1__dutKlLGPb8FkUGPcm9BbY_-2l7lN8PJ0m5yXImayEKP5espDk-zsAPSEKb9Tqby3DEUsePw8qugq6teLaIrdkKSsm-lVaBHxQqR_e-Jly-Q_Zwjjal3H1vnvRSnN_fxWLB3r-TZAFHofZGnpnNei4efgdw5VK7SluUBE92s-vsf8_zOAI9nNSJt51SLYRaHbgVDawWrVbutZs8du3kuT9fdOgjPbBf3Q21CnSU4wa8jB2xuhlpS45X_NrMqyYJLXCyARN-dsBcdS4fJOW42Y1LozUOLt2PesCb9lWItvU1FbYCtfHgd327pBPEhv-iPOjqZE-mIBLGcUpo-9qh-YRh12RNJzbgUK730EuQ8AMzI-oc81IBgRwGHtV45YY7pP9oP0BxkiWa7UShgxY6BzUKYViv9A-7dx9Uu_VzIG8w3ozBI0ulm5gd_WD7-wN5ZWJHWMQ2yq_1wJtEzmk0DiJZyyf_sm-7RrunROqROUGr-K2kWzmbWM4uCtswH_TRd6SiMCF5QVT6MZzT7Hz20msSwOykZyDfVEnxNR0Lha6S3BLcrfqsxBKm_3D6qqN3URRRVbJZaUnmcu4zu4rGhmS6IYEPg7vkMTG02QpjY7KCi3O7PRH_kyj8fgoOaxyYAjrwb2Zv6HgiiR1X9hhv7TSURh4mUXl0SJE9WjA=w720-h960

Thank you ver much Mike. I just might get motivated to do it myself!

Cheers,

Jerry

****Update****

Called MT this morning. My governor is an obsolete model, a P-420-3. They no longer have the parts to repair/overhaul it. After 16 years and 1800 hours of service, I decided not to futz around with it. This morning, I placed an order with Van’s for a new P-860-4 in the interest of keeping things moving.

I had also called Southcoast Propeller in Bessemer AL. They don’t even mess with them. If a customer sends them one, they just box it up and send it to MT in Deland.

Cheers,

Jerry

Last edited:
Its a shame it has had to come to that, Jerry, but good on you for making a positive step forward.

Once you have the new governor installed and the old one on the bench, pull the lid off and have a look inside. Get in touch with photos (PM me) and we can have a talk about a few things... if you like.

:)

I had two RV grin flights this past weekend since the weather's been so good.

One around Mt Rainier, which was busier than I've ever seen.
20230603_140743.jpg

The other to Port Townsend to grab a bit of lunch with a friend who was always too afraid to fly GA, but finally relented.
IMG_8511.jpg

PNP flight from Charlotte to Ohio and back with two Aussie pups. They were very well behaved

Also got around to doing the stabilator counter weight SB.

Attachments

• Resized_20230522_162139.jpeg
    Resized_20230522_162139.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3972.jpg
    IMG_3972.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 60
Its a shame it has had to come to that, Jerry, but good on you for making a positive step forward.

Once you have the new governor installed and the old one on the bench, pull the lid off and have a look inside. Get in touch with photos (PM me) and we can have a talk about a few things... if you like.

:)

Sounds good. Thanks!

Back