camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2021, 08:58 PM

Default EarthX on firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca2790 View Post
Hi Colin, thanks for the reply. Interesting about the ETX1200 on the firewall and your efforts to keep it cool. Regarding the Alternator failure, did you have a fuse in the Alternator output line to the battery? How old was it when you sent it back?

I was one of the early adopters if the earthX on the firewall back in 2015. The battery was over 3 years old when I sent it back. Yes, I have a 60 amp ANL fuse between the alternator and the battery. It wasn't an overcurrent condition that caused the battery problem. Considering that one phase of the stator was broken it was probably a high ripple condition or maybe spikes caused by the broken stator wire making and breaking contact with vibrations.

The earthX has an operating temperature range that is higher than most lead acid batteries.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca2790 View Post
Hi Bill,
there is a Vented EarthX 900. Obviously they are concerned about a fire in one of these Lithium batteries or they wouldn't provide the Vent system. I wonder how many they have had catch fire?
This battery chemistry will not catch on fire, it will smoke and that is it. I think the vent is to ensure that the smoke doesn't fill the cockpit. There is a cool video of a battery company showing what happens if you intentionally damage the battery with too high a voltage.
EAA #: 561223
Old 01-19-2021, 03:01 PM

Positives:
Light weight 4.5 lbs vs 24 lbs on a convention battery
Good cranking power

Negatives:
Battery is sensitive and along with the BMS it has two failure points battery and/or BMS.
If AOG, Jump starting an Earth X can be an issue.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Most RV-10s need some weight aft. What are you builders using the lighter EarthX batteries doing to correct for W&B?

Carl
RV-10 with dual PC-625 batteries mounted in the standard location and very happy with W&B.
A BRS parachute system nicely shifts that CG back. Plus it uses up some baggage space to nicely constrain how much excess stuff your passengers make you carry.

Two big benefits.
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying summer 2021?
Going for the build speed record. Thanks lockdowns!

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 01-19-2021, 06:26 PM

Default Teah

Yeah that brs system shifts the cg back, basically eliminates the baggage area, but it will DEFINITELY lighten your wallet...

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Default Battery replaced.

Well I looked at the Earthx and I looked at the Odysseys' and I looked at all sorts of batteries. What I found would fit is a Deka Power Sport ETX30LA.
No modification and fits snug as bug. 30 AH, 400CCA and about $700 cheaper than an Earthx and around $400 cheaper than a Concorde 25XC (hear in Australia. So I will see if this lasts more than 100 hours of flying!
Old 01-23-2021, 04:58 PM

Default $$$

There is generally a reason for such a difference in price...

Beware, ESPECIALLY if you are running an electrically dependent engine...

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-24-2021, 03:19 AM

G’day Bob,
Yes I would normally think that logical but the Concorde 25XC has proved to be unreliable and so I shall give the Deka a try. If the Deca starts to do what the Concorde does, which is drop it’s voltage when cranking to less than 7 volts, I will do something else. By the way I have Magnetos and a Plane Power backup Alternator.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:26 PM

I've had an EarthX mounted to the firewall of my -10 for 3 years now.

Initially had an issue with heat, the battery was replaced by EarthX. I built an aluminum box that is connected to a small blast tube and added a shield to the R exhaust and have had no further issues, >200 hours since then. This was before they had their custom insulated box available.

I am very happy with the battery and my CG. With me solo and no bags, I am just behind the max fwd CG. To me this is optimal, as basically anything I load is aft of the CG, and it allows me to carry as much as possible. I do a decent amount of solo XC, and often carry a lot of heavy stuff.

If I am flying solo for fun, my toolkit in the baggage area (about 25lbs) makes full aft stick on landing a bit easier. However, it is not hard without aft ballast.

Thomas
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 01-24-2021, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Most RV-10s need some weight aft. What are you builders using the lighter EarthX batteries doing to correct for W&B?

Carl
RV-10 with dual PC-625 batteries mounted in the standard location and very happy with W&B.
Depends on the prop. Not so with the MT. Been running the ETX 1200 for years in the 10, and have installed many in other RV-10's.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com