- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Default Foreflight price hike

When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75. Ummm 25% price hike.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75.
I'm guessing that was so they could continue to provide the absolutely fantastic software that they are known for. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I pay extra for the "pro" version and the synthetic vision. Foreflight/Stratus is my primary means of navigation and I feel like my life may depend on ForeFlight someday. It's important to me that they stay in business and keep improving their product. Their geo-referencing on the airport diagram really helps me to avoid embarrassment by getting lost when taxiing at an unfamiliar airport. Their recent "glide ring" enhancement is a another great safety feature. On the rare occasions when I have flown VFR over a cloud layer with mountains below, their synthetic vision was a real comfort. ForeFlight is worth much more to me than what I am paying.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:33 PM

Everyone likes what they got. That said, IMHO WingX is almost as good on the ground, and better (IMHO) in the air, than Foreflight. And now, 25% cheaper. If you're unhappy, you do have a choice. Vote with your feet.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75. Ummm 25% price hike.
Actually from $75 to $100 would be a 33.3% price hike.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Everyone likes what they got. That said, IMHO WingX is almost as good on the ground, and better (IMHO) in the air, than Foreflight. And now, 25% cheaper. If you're unhappy, you do have a choice. Vote with your feet.
And WingX soon to offer a limited VFR version for free.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabo View Post
And WingX soon to offer a limited VFR version for free.
This s true. But since "limited vfr" will apparently not include weather, I consider it too limited for real use. But useful for new users to see if they like it or not, sort of a free trial.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 PM

9 times out of ten, I am able to find open-source or freeware type software that works for me. In this case, FF just keeps coming through with new features that I actually find myself using, and nobody else offering - at least not all in one package. I'll admit I don't enjoy paying that much for anything, but I do feel like their product is worth it.

Chris
Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 PM

IFly software is with a look. I use it for VFR navigation, and have been happy with it for years. I've also used foreflight on occasion to see what I was missing. I always go back to iFly.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:35 PM

But I don't see where the Uavionix Echo ADS-B can relay weather and traffic on Foreflight but it does with several other flight plan apps. I just installed the Echo and that's why I'm researching this.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
But I don't see where the Uavionix Echo ADS-B can relay weather and traffic on Foreflight but it does with several other flight plan apps. I just installed the Echo and that's why I'm researching this.
I believe it does "unofficially" but I'd be interested to hear from somebody with more knowledge or experience. This site, among others, note ForeFlight support. https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Produc...er-for-lsa-exp

Chris