-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Larry my software upgrade was a customer service. And as such was free of charge. Seemed pretty universal. Wire instal is painful so I doubt that'll be free unless you got a really nice shop.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Well I checked all settings as per guidance suggested. Still no ADSB. BUT. I might see a problem. If anyone has expertise please advise. Looks like gar in manual might be mislabeled. I used pin 41 because it says RS232 out but if you look all the way to the right it appears this port is an input. I'd post a pic but can't seem to load it.
Hello Bart,

Not sure which pin 41 is being discussed, but pin 41 on GNS 430W connector P4001 is indeed the output for RS-232 port #3 and could be configured for ADS-B Out+ and used to supply this data to the GTX330ES.

P.S. The email address assigned to your VAF account seems to be broken, so we couldn't respond to your G3Xpert submitted question.

Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-18-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Sometimes it's the simple things: did you confirm that you have a common signal GRD for your 430W and your 330ES? Without that you will not get the 232 signal.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Steve, concur the label says RS232 however in the install manual diagram on the far right side of the page it says pin 41 is an input port not an output port. I know that makes no sense and I assume this is an error. I'm already dismantling the panel. I'm going go to another output port and see if my luck changes.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Steve, concur the label says RS232 however in the install manual diagram on the far right side of the page it says pin 41 is an input port not an output port. I know that makes no sense and I assume this is an error. I'm already dismantling the panel. I'm going go to another output port and see if my luck changes.
Hello Bart,

Not sure what you are looking at, but on page 4-15 of the Rev. L GNS 400W installation manual it clearly shows that pin 41 is the transmit side of RS-232 Port 3.

We emailed this information, but it bounced back indicating that the email address you provided to VAF is incorrect. If you email G3Xpert@garmin.com (not through VAF) so we can get your real email address, we can do a better job of supporting you.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Page 4-2 has it wrong but may have been fixed/changed in later revisions
Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Ok Steve, I was only able to download rev B from the internet. I checked for revisions and didn't see any. In rev B the label RS232 output is shown but the far right side table shows "I" for input.

So I've got the panel field stripped again and moving to port 58. This label is RS232 out 4. The table on the far right shows "O" output.

Had to start all over with the wire. Pulling pins from an existing panel is a bitch.

Does 58 seem ok in Rev L?

Not sure why the kickback: ck98bart@hotmail.com

Last edited by Bart : 01-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:46 PM

Steve, email sent.

For the others I?ve moved the 430 wire from port 41 to port 58 on the P4001 plug and kept same pin 22 on the 330 J3301 plug. Reconfigured the settings as many ways as I can imagine that might work.

Still no ADSB flag. I know this cant be as hard as it been to get this working. Working on moving pins from a 5 year old panel is not fun so I'm still hoping its a configuration setting but I'm out of ideas.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM

Are you sure you're putting the pin in the correct hole? Working behind the panel is hard, it's easy to look at a picture of the connector from one side when the pin goes in the other.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Larry,

Garmin doesn't charge for the software upgrade you need for your GNS 530W, but the upgrade is done through dealers who may charge a small fee for the upgrade.

Yes, the ADS-B Out serial link from the GNS 530W to the GTX 330ES is a separate dedicated link that is required.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for the info. Larry