Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Default GRT HXr autopilot and the GPS approach: Need button-pushing help

OK. So I'm learning the systems and this wonderful GRT HXr more and more each time I fly.

I'm trying to set it up to do a fully-coupled GPS/RNAV WAAS approach, but I can't get it to do the vertical/glideslope part....it stays at the altitude that it was holding prior to hitting the approach fix while it's tracking the GPS COURSE perfectly.

I'm selecting the approach in the GNS430W and activating it. The autopilot is ON, and I'm using the HDG bug to turn the assigned vectors toward the fix on the approach at the assigned (A/P-held) altitude. I hit Direct To-Ent-Ent for the assigned approach fix in the 430W...

Somebody please walk me though it from there.

TIA
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Arlen, I installed the HXr in my RV-10 last spring. I would be happy to go over button pushing with you any time at your airplane or mine. I need to be sitting in front of the EFIS to do it, because I cannot remember button names and sequences sitting here at my computer.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaib View Post
Arlen, I installed the HXr in my RV-10 last spring. I would be happy to go over button pushing with you any time at your airplane or mine. I need to be sitting in front of the EFIS to do it, because I cannot remember button names and sequences sitting here at my computer.
David,
That's great! Thanks for "volunteering"

I'm at Massey, Hangar # 6.

Any chance you're available sometime tomorrow, or maybe Monday after work 5 o'clockish?

my cell
386- three one 4 - nine 8 4 four
Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Once you're inbound on final approach course (but not sooner), push buttons by going to "ARM" menu and then select "GPSV" option.. that should take care of the vertical part. Keep Lat AP in "GNAV" mode.

http://www.grtavionics.com/Using%20A...20Director.pdf

Page 1 shows those menu options.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM

As Dave said, go see him. It is hard to do this without sitting in front of the equipment. That being said....
I think pushing the direct to (iaf) is a mistake. That will delete the 430 flight plan and replace it with direct iaf. Push the flight plan button, highlight the iaf (which is there because you already loaded and activated the approach), then push direct. This will leave the whole flight plan intact.
After this, don't forget to go to the HXr autopilot menu and highlight GPSV arm. You do not have to wait until you are on the final approach course. Depending on the option you set up in the software controls, a button may appear asking you to activate the approach mode.

I always remind people that autopilots are great, but they require twice as much training time: first to be able to fly without it, and then to be able to fly with it.

Last edited by BobTurner : 03-08-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I always remind people that autopilots are great, but they require twice as much training time: first to be able to fly without it, and then to be able to fly with it.
Definitely, Bob. I spent the first 8 hours of flying the -6 without turning the autopilot on. Now, I'm in the learn-the-autopilot mode. When I fly, I typically fly some by hand and some by A/P. I'll use the A/P for approaches once I get pretty confident in my understanding of it.

I've flown a few apps by hand in the -6 now..
Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM

I had to go back through my emails to remember the exact behavior.. this was with earlier version of software, so not sure if they changed the behavior with current version.. Anyways, arming GPSV prior to HILPT would have switched the EFIS to ENAV and you could not switch it to GNAV any more... that would cause the AP to not execute HILPT (as it needed to be in GNAV mode to follow the hold). Therefore proper procedure (at that time) was to arm GPSV when you're inbound and completed HILPT.

Pls verify how it behaves now in current software version.. there may have been some changes in behavior
Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir View Post
. Keep Lat AP in "GNAV" mode.

http://www.grtavionics.com/Using&#37...20Director.pdf

While inbound for the approach, have LNAV set to GNAV (so it will do turn anticipation). Once on final, the HXr will automatically switch to ENAV. If you push "missed" it will go back to GNAV.
I have the newest software and that's how mine works. Arm the approach anytime, it switches when on final.

Edit: I should go check wrt the holding pattern behavior, I fly so few, you may be right there. It must be in GNAV to do the holding pattern, as you say.

Last edited by BobTurner : 03-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir View Post
Once you're inbound on final approach course (but not sooner), push buttons by going to "ARM" menu and then select "GPSV" option.. that should take care of the vertical part. Keep Lat AP in "GNAV" mode.

http://www.grtavionics.com/Using%20A...20Director.pdf

Thanks for the link -- this is exactly what I've been looking for with our new HXr installation.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:08 PM

...a big Thank You to David Maib for taking the time today to sit with me in his beautiful -10 to talk Hxr and 430W....and other RV goodness.