Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Airworthiness inspection -rudder cables

Just received my airworthiness inspection today. It was the luck of the draw from our local fsdo that gave me a more thorough look than I was expecting. A few minor things to change but one that almost brought the inspection to a halt took a phone call to Vans to clear up. Referencing his certified experience with a Beech Debonair (I believe) cable chafing and getting stuck, he had a hard time with the rudder cables at F1007 bulkhead rubbing against the snap bushing.

He let it go after seeing the plans and specifying a check at condition inspections although he doesn?t agree with Vans. His logic seems valid of ss rubbing on plastic and surely the bushing would wear a groove, has there been any concerns with this? Not with Vans I found out today and they seem aware of rubbing with no problems with thousands of a/c out there.

I?ve got to think mine are no different than any others since bushing holes are predetermined, anyone see a concern for beefing that up or inserting a smaller bushing inside the original ?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Vans rudder cables go slack when you take your foot off the pedal----wonder if the Debonair is the same?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-18-2017, 04:56 PM

They don't...

There was an issue with control cables on Bonanzas fraying.. but there they don't slacken up... and there are pulleys involved. etc.. different design..
Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Flying since 1993. Inspect rudder cables/snap bushings annually. No notable wear so far.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 PM

Default Rudder cables on RV7A

On a similar note, a few years ago during my FSDO Inspection, the two FSDO inspectors were concerned that the rudder cables could slip up and over the rudder stops (built per plans) and become jammed. They would not sign off. They returned a month later (and apparently after some consultation) and signed the pink slip. However, I did add a doubler plate to the top of the rudder stops to satisfy their concerns.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa
Old 12-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Smile OK for our planes

My FSDO inspector was training another when they did my -6A.

He pointed out to his trainee that slack rudder cables are a particular feature of the RV planes and not a concern for airworthiness.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 12-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdave View Post
Just received my airworthiness inspection today. It was the luck of the draw from our local fsdo that gave me a more thorough look than I was expecting. A few minor things to change but one that almost brought the inspection to a halt took a phone call to Vans to clear up. Referencing his certified experience with a Beech Debonair (I believe) cable chafing and getting stuck, he had a hard time with the rudder cables at F1007 bulkhead rubbing against the snap bushing.

He let it go after seeing the plans and specifying a check at condition inspections although he doesn?t agree with Vans. His logic seems valid of ss rubbing on plastic and surely the bushing would wear a groove, has there been any concerns with this? Not with Vans I found out today and they seem aware of rubbing with no problems with thousands of a/c out there.

I?ve got to think mine are no different than any others since bushing holes are predetermined, anyone see a concern for beefing that up or inserting a smaller bushing inside the original ?
The next smaller bushing can be split with a razer to expand enough to place over the cable and snap into the existing bushing.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Hu...and most people have an issue with no wet compass. But Sir, I DO have a magnet direction indicator, see.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM

I had a similar issue on a couple other items with the FSDO rep performing my inspection. He came right out and said this is not right. I think the fact that I turned to the page of the plans almost immediately and stated it was built to plans, kind of took him by surprised. It set the tone for the rest of the afternoon (positively). Once he saw the plans and validated that I built it to plans, he was satisfied.