Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I'm guessing that was so they could continue to provide the absolutely fantastic software that they are known for. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I pay extra for the "pro" version and the synthetic vision. Foreflight/Stratus is my primary means of navigation and I feel like my life may depend on ForeFlight someday. It's important to me that they stay in business and keep improving their product. Their geo-referencing on the airport diagram really helps me to avoid embarrassment by getting lost when taxiing at an unfamiliar airport. Their recent "glide ring" enhancement is a another great safety feature. On the rare occasions when I have flown VFR over a cloud layer with mountains below, their synthetic vision was a real comfort. ForeFlight is worth much more to me than what I am paying.
Plus 1 totally agree , and its user friendly unllike all the hotshot stuff.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
When did Foreflight basic increase there price to $100? Seems like a year ago I paid $75. Ummm 25% price hike.
When did the price go up? I just got my renewal reminder that indicated I'd be charged 74.99 in a couple weeks.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 07-30-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
When did the price go up? I just got my renewal reminder that indicated I'd be charged 74.99 in a couple weeks.
It didn't... Basic is still 74.99 and what is mentioned for 99.99 is Basic Plus
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinelakespilot2000 View Post
Well it must have just happened as it shows a price of $99.99.....hundred bucks for BASIC version now when I wanted to renew. Now I am looking at the other options out there.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM

I find very few variations in the top EFB brands. All will basically do the same thing, just have to click to it different.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomir View Post
It didn't... Basic is still 74.99 and what is mentioned for 99.99 is Basic Plus
Well it doesn't give me the option for the 74.99 plan. I'll have to contact support.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Well it doesn't give me the option for the 74.99 plan. I'll have to contact support.
If you already logged into their site, then first click "Buy Now"... then scroll down all the way to the bottom and click on "Build your own plan"... that's how you can get the Basic plan for 74.99
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
On the FF website, under the "Build Your Own Plan" page, it still offers the option of "ForeFlight Basic ($74.99/yr)"

https://foreflight.com/pricing
Carl is correct.

IF one whats the new "Aeronautical Maps" that was added a year or so ago, it is an extra $25 and results in the ForeFlight Basic Plus plan.

My Pro plan renewed this year at the $149.99 price but I upgraded to the new last year "Aeronautical Maps" for the extra $50. The Aeronautical Maps can make the iPad look very similar to a Garmin 396 / 496 GPS display with additional info. It also can overlay the sectionals with additional useful info.

I used the new updated ForeFlight on my round trip Oshkosh AirVenture 2017 trip. It is nice but as a 6 or 7-year ForeFlight user it is my opinion that it is not worth an additional $25 or in my case $50 for the Pro Plus version. Have not tried the IFR part yet to see what I get other than the Aeronautical Maps for the $50.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 View Post
IFly software is with a look. I use it for VFR navigation, and have been happy with it for years. I've also used foreflight on occasion to see what I was missing. I always go back to iFly.
My experience also. I have currently FlyQ (lifetime), Garmin Pilot, iFly and ForeFlight on my iPad, both Pilot and iFly on my Android smartphone and iFly on my Windows laptop. iFly is my default go to app no matter the platform (as listed above it supports all platforms). I like FlyQ's minimum menu philosophy and the new camera/HUD trick built in. ForeFlight is fine with more complex menus and drill down. Pilot is my least favorite but I tolerate it only due to the Connex features for Garmin flight decks and navigators.

But I really really like iFly app. VFR or IFR versions. And the company, Adventure Pilot. I also appreciate their non-proprietary approach to 3rd party hardware (FlyQ scores equivalently on this playing well with others). I jump around between EFB software a lot and usually have one or two competitive apps running at the same time in flight. But if I could only pick one of the lot iFly is the winner. I always have it on the quick draw.

Jim
Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 AM

I prefer FlyQ. I too am a fan of their 2-tap max philosophy. That and they include geo-referenced taxi diagrams with their VFR subscription, as well as synthetic vision. I have the IFR subscription at $150 for 3 years, they do sales around Black Friday sometimes too.

I rarely use the EFB for actual flight planning though, I use skyvector for that.