What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bugnut problem

Keith Williams

Well Known Member
The bugnut (I guess that's what you call it) came off one of my choke cables and the cable frazzled enough that I cannot get it back on.

Looking for tips on how to tame those cable strands and get them back into the (very tight fitting) bug nut.

Thinking about opening up the hole with a #32 drill. Thinking there must be a better way.

I had a lot of trouble with those. Kept trying and trying and finally just got "lucky." So not some great advice from me. Brainstorm: Solder? Put in a drop of super glue and quickly wrap with thin monofilament for it to set? The pull off the monofilament? I'm trying to remember the things I was thinking of right before luck struck.

Bugnut Problem

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. I also got "lucky" the first time around with this one. But cannot get it to go now.

Years ago on the RV6 I used solder on some of this cable - found a special flux and melted solder into the cable on the carb heat control to stiffen it. I did that for a different reason but think it might work here (stiffen to fuse together and then grind to a point?). Hoping there is a better way.

Can you cut some of the strands back a fraction of an inch, thereby allowing you to push through the longer strands first, followed by the shorter ones? If there was enough length to do this, of course.

Could be there's something on the Rotax Forum. Maybe one of those guys dealt with the problem in a non-RV12 with twin carbs. Of course, I'm sure the "recommended" Rotax fix will be a new cable.

FWIW, I too, got lucky when mine cut loose last year. Snugging up those boogers is on the oil change topside checklist now...

Jim
RV-12 #264
flying 154 hours

The bug nuts on the 12 are clearly undersized.

Try using the moth balls that are used on the RV-4

I think the Rocky Mountain Oysters of the RV-14 would be too big.

Hope this helps!

:D CJ

Back