What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

'Bench' Testing ELT

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I would like to verify that as many of my electrical doodads work before completing assembly. I mounted my ACK ELT today and hooked up as much as I could, meaning everything except GPS. So, 12v, ground, antenna, remote box and sounder.

I got -5.6v between the 'test' lead (pin 2) from the ACK and ground. The instructions from ACK indicate I should be getting 5v+/-. I supplied 12v and 14v from my stable power supply to see if it mattered. 5.6v both times.

I called ACK but they aren't back from holidays until next week.

Does this seem reasonable? I don't want to seal everything up to find out something is amiss.

From past experience I will say that the ACK phone support will likely amount to you talking to the owner and guy who designed/builds their ELT's. I don't recall his name, but he'll work you thru any problem.

One warning, and this is spelled out in the manual, don't test the ELT without it being connected to the proper antenna. I'm not sure of your configuration or what you've done, but a wise choice might be let it be until you can confer with ACK.

Just sayin' ... but it might save you from the effort of sending your unit back for repair.

Cheers

From past experience I will say that the ACK phone support will likely amount to you talking to the owner and guy who designed/builds their ELT's. I don't recall his name, but he'll work you thru any problem.

One warning, and this is spelled out in the manual, don't test the ELT without it being connected to the proper antenna. I'm not sure of your configuration or what you've done, but a wise choice might be let it be until you can confer with ACK.

Just sayin' ... but it might save you from the effort of sending your unit back for repair.

Cheers

Good advice. Thanks.
S

Back