camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2022, 07:18 PM

Default Need Replacement 6A Nose Gear/Strut Fairing

I'm installing the Antisplat Nose Job 2 reinforcement bracket on our recently acquired 6A. It does have Van's modified nose strut / nose wheel but figured the extra reinforcement can't hurt. Unfortunately, the builder appears to have trimmed the strut fairing a bit tight so there is not enough clearance to put it back on with Nose Job 2 bracket installed. I called Antisplat and they no longer have any of the roomier fairings they made for the first version of the fix (Nose Job 1) so I next tried to order one from Vans. Unfortunately they are on back-order. If anyone has one they want to sell - or knows of another source - I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
THIS IS THE VAN'S PART:
https://store.vansaircraft.com/fiber...ring-nose.html
Old 09-20-2022, 07:53 PM

Default UPDATE...

I called Vans this morning and they now have the fairing and related parts in stock (although website not updated) so I've got one on it's way. Once it arrives I may be asking for points on how to trim the fiberglass as needed for proper fit and tips on riveting the piano hinge latch (have very limited riveting experience).

Last edited by dbier99 : 09-20-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:42 AM

If you don't have one, buy or barrow a squeezer (manual or pneumatic) you don't want to use a rivet gun / bucking bar on the fiberglass.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
If you don't have one, buy or barrow a squeezer (manual or pneumatic) you don't want to use a rivet gun / bucking bar on the fiberglass.
Thanks! We will track one down. Is there any special type of saw or cutter needed for trimming fiberglass. I'm concerned about chipping/cracking it if we don't use the right tool/technique.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:36 AM

Default Cutting fibreglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbier99 View Post
Thanks! We will track one down. Is there any special type of saw or cutter needed for trimming fiberglass. I'm concerned about chipping/cracking it if we don't use the right tool/technique.
A Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel is good for fine cutting and trimming of fiberglass parts. Alternatively an oscillating multi-tool also works well. Hopefully you have at least one of those tools.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 09-21-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
... Hopefully you have at least one of those tools.
Yep I have both - just haven't (yet) used them on fiberglass. There's always a first time. Thanks!