camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-07-2022, 11:41 PM

Default Here’s What We Did

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneves View Post
If I was in your position with these concerns I think I would remove the engine and prop and sell them as a package.

Remove the wings and sell the remaining as a rebuild project. I've seen listings like this all over Barnstormers mostly on Lancairs. I see this as the least amount of work and best way to walk away from liability. Maybe even remove the elevators and rudder that way the buyer would have to assemble all the control surfaces. The aircraft would need to reassembled to the point that the buyer would have little recourse.

I'm not a lawyer and could be totally wrong, consult a legal advisor and see if this covers you, if so..... Keep It SIMPLE.
Attorneys advising the owners of the airplane we parted out said to scrap the bits the builders built, which seemed to mean all the sheet metal bits… the airframe. We advertised on Barnstormers and here on VAF. I got inquiries about airframe components but of course could not sell those. We actually did sell the engine and propeller together to a builder who’d installed and flown an auto engine conversion but wanted to go to an airplane engine. Avionics, wheels, brakes, autopilot, lighting, engine mount all went off in different directions. There was a lot of photographing, describing, communicating, packing, shipping and moving $ around. I learned it’s a bit dodgy selling used parts. And it took over a year to get everything sold. The airframe ended up donated to the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation to use in training dogs for airplane crashes but was melted to a puddle of slag in a brushfire before any if that happened. Not a fun job. I did get a bit of terse communications from folks who told me that builders of experimental airplanes had never been successfully sued. I’ve actually tried to get real information about all that. EAA has no specific info. There’s a LOT of rumor and guesses but I could not find any case law at all, win, lose or draw. An attorney told me it happens all the time, then ran off before I could ask more questions. One source I respect tells me that there are many suits, but they settle before they go to trial, which takes them out of the data pool. I don’t know what to think. Insufficient data, Captain.

Last edited by JDeanda : 09-07-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:31 PM

I may be interested in a core engine. I currently have a timed O-360A1F6D, and I think I'd rather build something more basic.