What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taps

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am working on my RV-7A tip-up cabin frame. I am about to order a 8-32 tap from McMaster-Carr for tapping the #8 screw holes. I am wondering if there are other sizes of tap that I may need for later part of the build? I like to order them at once if other sizes are needed.
Thanks in advance,
Robin

OK

I'm not saying you will need these, but they will come in handy at some point.

6-32
10-32
1/4-20
1/4-28

Mark

I agree with Mark, useful to have taps for most sizes we use in building. Not a bad idea to have an extra 6-32 and 8-32 lying around in case you snap one of those as they are somewhat easy to break.

Greg

I am working on my RV-7A tip-up cabin frame. I am about to order a 8-32 tap from McMaster-Carr for tapping the #8 screw holes. I am wondering if there are other sizes of tap that I may need for later part of the build? I like to order them at once if other sizes are needed.
Thanks in advance,
Robin

I agree with Greg - I've used 6-32, 8-32, and 10-32 taps quite a bit.

I was able to find all these sizes locally at Ace Hardware, Sears, and other shops if you'd like to get them more quickly.

Just FYI, you can buy taps in most common sizes at Home Depot. Quicker and probably less expensive than ordering from McMaster-Carr.

taps

I use only 2 flute taps for hand tapping. Less likely to brake. M- carr has them. My thoughts. Ron Broken taps suck.

Be sure to buy the proper

tap drill and clearance drill sizes for the common size taps if you don't have a complete number drill set. I ended up using both quite a lot. Go for the complete set if you can. Harbor Freight has good enough tools for most applications. You might want a few high quality drills for the firewall, 4130 steel weldments, etc. Carbide or Cobalt works great

THREAD FORMING - flutelesss

This is not a cutting tap.
Works very good for thin metal sheets. Stronger thread, fast, no chips. :) ... Need more torque to turn. :eek:
Practice on junk pcs to get the hang of it.

You can use a reversing drill. Use lubricating oil not cutting oil 3and1 ok.
Drill size is not the same as a cut tap drill.

Bill johnson

Back