-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM

1. How do I get the 5600 to display the VOR course from my 530? I don't have an SL-30; the manual seems to discuss it as the only source for VOR guidance. If I plan a flight using VOR waypoints only, will the 5600 display it in green? If I fly a 530 GPS flight plan with a destination VOR/ILS Approach, will the CDI change color to green? Would it matter if it didn't?

If you are planning a flight with VOR waypoints on a 530 you are really using GPS. If the EFIS CDI is in AUTO mode you use the VLOC button on the 530 to switch to the NAV side.

2. I don?t need remote audio control from my 5600; how can I turn off the Audio Panel Status ?tab? on the top left of my display? It is currently ?X?ed? out but is still taking up space.

SET > CAL > AUDIO PANEL > Instrument OFF

3. Sometimes the touchscreen refuses to work and everything must be done by the buttons. What is causing that? I assume I?m causing it inadvertently...

There is not a setting for turning off the touch screen, you should email your system logs.

Rob Hickman
Old 10-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Default UPDATE --- Everything working, as advertised

Lee, thanks for bringing it up, and Rob, thanks for getting me straightened out. My new 5600T coupled with NAV, and coupled with the RNAV 3 (LNAV+V) approach into BKV, today. The "within 30* of heading and within 80% of cross-trak" works great. When entering the flight plan into the 650, it transfer to the 5600T as GNAV1. I bring up the AP screen and engage in heading mode. The NAV and VNAV show "armed". I load and activate the approach in the 650 and the AP engages NAV, takes me to the IAF, onto the approach, and at the FAF starts me down the vertical guidance. By then I have the approach plate on the screen and watch the airplane track the approach. I have the minimums set, and, on reaching, can elect to toggle off the AP, and land, or activate the missed approach.

I still have an awful lot to learn, and it took me several years before I would do anything but "direct to" on my GPS.

It seems magical, but is really a lot of fun!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Rob: Again, thanks for the info. I am really enjoying the new functionality I'm seeing now. Launched into some "broken" weather today and saw ADSB weather for the first time. In order to get weather to come up [now that my 470 is getting power], the current manual says to select [SET] [WX] [FIS-B], but that is not an option on my system/software. I selected [ADSB] instead and that appears to have done the trick. Very interesting...old hat to the guys who've had this stuff for awhile an interesting new capability to me.

1. Haven't had a chance to try the VOR yet, since I just got it going again yesterday. I know I can fly the VOR system with my 530 but wasn't sure if the introduction of the 5600 would interfere or not. Sounds like it is configured to treat it as a separate nav source.

2. Wow, I looked everywhere for the info on how to turn off the audio panel but no luck. Thanks!

3. The intermittent touch screen really is a mystery; when it won't swipe it won't accomplish any other touch screen functions either [map select, typing functions when I try to insert a Direct To airport, etc]. There is usually no problem in using the buttons but the touch screen is much handier most of the time (rough air permitting]. If I can't figure out what I'm doing to trigger it, I'll send you the logs [as soon as I figure out how to do that!].

RONSIM: You are right, after years of hand flown PAR and ASR approaches in wild weather in the military, this stuff is truly magical. What's not to like?!

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 10-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Weather and Nexrad operational, but Lightning and Winds Aloft don't light up and won't select. Are they not available? The Pilot Guide says they are, at the bottom of page 78 and on page 81.
F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 10-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansc View Post
Weather and Nexrad operational, but Lightning and Winds Aloft don't light up and won't select. Are they not available? The Pilot Guide says they are, at the bottom of page 78 and on page 81.
The ADS-B data does not currently have lightning data. We are working on displaying the Winds aloft data.

The EFIS will display lightning and winds aloft data if you have an XM receiver.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the quick answer, Rob. I hope I'm asking questions that have troubled other users, since the responses I'm getting are really helpful---I'm hoping others are benefitting too. Two [small] new ones please:

1. I bought the WiFi module for my system to "talk" with my ForeFlight/iPad. The discussion on page 64 of the Pilot's Guide says to set it up in accordance with the info in the "installation section". Unless that refers to para. 1 on page 64 which only says to ensure it's plugged in, I don't find any such instructions. Where do I look? I trolled both the Dynon and AFS sections of the website but no luck there either. The WiFi plug is featured there, but there are no installation or pilot's guide instructions co-located with it like there is for most of the other products listed.

2. Sorry, if this is a real micro-issue: On many of the Approach Plates in the AFS system, one of the IAF points is colored with a yellow dot and others with a green dot. I can't find any description of the difference in or the meaning of these colors anywhere. Sometimes [IIRC] its the IAF and the Missed Approach holding fix. I've been through a couple of dozen "how to read approach plates" tutorials on the web looking for the specific meaning of these colors, but no luck.
F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 10-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 PM

1. I bought the WiFi module for my system to "talk" with my ForeFlight/iPad. The discussion on page 64 of the Pilot's Guide says to set it up in accordance with the info in the "installation section". Unless that refers to para. 1 on page 64 which only says to ensure it's plugged in, I don't find any such instructions. Where do I look? I trolled both the Dynon and AFS sections of the website but no luck there either. The WiFi plug is featured there, but there are no installation or pilot's guide instructions co-located with it like there is for most of the other products listed.

advanced-flight-systems.com/docs/AF-5000%20Pilot%20Guide%20Manual%20V15.0%20WiFi.pdf

2. Sorry, if this is a real micro-issue: On many of the Approach Plates in the AFS system, one of the IAF points is colored with a yellow dot and others with a green dot. I can't find any description of the difference in or the meaning of these colors anywhere. Sometimes [IIRC] its the IAF and the Missed Approach holding fix. I've been through a couple of dozen "how to read approach plates" tutorials on the web looking for the specific meaning of these colors, but no luck.

advanced-flight-systems.com/docs/AF-5000%20Pilot%20Guide%20Manual%20V15.0%20APP.pdf

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Old 10-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Rob: Again, thank you very much. I see that the above pages came from V.15 of the Pilot's Guide---I assume that is the new one you recently referenced. Unless, I am mistaken, we currently only have access to V.5 on the Dynon/AFS website. Explains why finding some of the info requested has been a bit difficult.

Nevertheless, every new thing I learn [or verify] about thats 5000 series system seems to add greatly to its utility and value to me as a pilot. I'm loving this system now!

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying
Old 10-22-2017, 08:00 PM

The latest AF-5000 Pilot Guide is available:

advanced-flight-systems.com/docs/AF-5000%20Pilot%20Guide%20Manual%20V15.0.pdf

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Default THANKS!

Thanks for the new manual Rob.
The plane is finally entering the last week of paint process. The wings and fuselage are painted and clear coated. Last, is to get the VS & Rudder finished and then reassemble the bird.

After all that, I'll get on the updates of software and charts. Then get in contact with you to see if we can figure out why my system doesn't perform the way you say it should.

Thanks again for all that great customer support.