-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 AM

Tony, regarding the EFII fuel pump, I installed mine standing up (pressure bypass on top) and that may be an issue on first start up. Robert Paisley would like to see it laying on its side to facilitate getting fuel into it before first start. Once fuel is in the unit it will work ok but it will not suck fuel if there is a glob of air in the bypass part. He had one guy burn up the motor trying to get it to draw fuel from the tank in that situation. I plan to draw fuel through it from the fire wall with a syphon pump of some sort.

It is upright where it is due to space limitations and fuel line routing.

Just food for thought....
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default EFII pump orientation

Re Boost Pump mounting,
The Boost Pump is very happy lying flat or sitting on its side with the regulator above the pump. The only orientation that is not good is standing up longways.

Robert
Old 06-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned

Default EFII priming

I should have also mentioned that the easiest way to get some initial fuel into the pump is to disconnect the fuel feed line at the injector servo and simply pour some fuel into that line. This will backfeed some fuel into the boost pump assembly to wet the components for the first run. Once the pump has pumped a little fuel it will prime nicely thereafter.
Robert
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM

The project slowed a bit as life gets in the way. There was a vacation to Italy , a trip to Nova Scotia some of you may have heard about, and general day to day responsibilities. But I'm back to work. Mostly BORING, TEDIOUS, DIRTY, SWEATY WORK. Deburring, countersinking, dimpling, cleaning and priming, oh my.

Many parts.

Tons of aluminum EVERYWHERE.

I wonder how long before I get a flat tire....

Priming finally begins.

Doesn't look like much but THIS is a lot of work

In the interim, the finish kit arrives. $650 just in shipping

Inventory is rather simple because the parts are large but few.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM

The finish kit crate is an excellent table for countersinking the MANY holes in the longerons.

Cutting the notches out of the longerons is nerve racking. There is so much work into these things I would probably cry if I screwed em up now.

The notches came out OK. I suspect they will need more filing when I go to mount the vertical stab but or now they cleaned up nicely.

The skins are all dimpled and ready.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM

The bible also came in today....more studying for me.

On a positive note, all I really have to do is prime the longerons and then I'm on to FINAL ASSEMBLY!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Been some time since I updated but I've been rather busy. Priming.

Then it was on to riveting the lower longeron. It's been so long since I riveted I almost forgot how!

The skill comes right back....like riding a bike.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM

I could start doing some skins but the instructions say you might want to tackle the fuel and brake lines while there is easy access to the towers. I'm excited to get to riveting the skins but I don't want to work in confined space if I don't have to. Here I installed plate nuts to the forward floor to accept 10-32 hex head screws that will hold the EFII electric fuel pump in place. I used rubber washer underneath the pump assembly to absorb some vibration.

Did the same thing for the fuel filter.

Now to flare some fuel lines. I needed to practice on a few but with help of VAF I was able to quickly get the hang of flaring.

Looking good.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Bending tubing is another learning experience...

It's gratifying when it turns out like you picture it in your mind.

The vent lines came out nice!

Ok....here's my trade secret. A tub of Boelube is the perfect diameter for these bends!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by tkatc : 07-29-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM

I'm going with the Grove gear with gun-drilled brake lines. Other builders have expressed concern over the tight, almost impossible, bends you have to make to fit the brake lines to the top of the gear. I stole Dan H's solution to this problem. He suggested reversing the fitting from the aft side to the forward side of the gear then make a relaxed loop to make he connection. Here you can see my iPad studying the solution while building on....

Since I did the gear tower mod I ran into another problem. The plans call for routing the brake line through the "middle" hole. The middle hole on my project will be blocked by the large oval plate. As you can see here...the center hole is blocked.

I suppose I could "slot" the plate to allow brake line penetration but I didn't think that was the best remedy. I decided to route the brake lines through the upper hole which is wide open. I think it worked out well.

It took a long time to make all these lines....

Here's a shot inside the tower. I tried to keep everything as open as I could and not interfere with possible future installations.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Closed Thread