Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Making the plunge with a RV-8A

After having the preview plans for a RV8 floating around the house for a couple of years, the decision has been made to press forward. The family has signed off allowing for 2 nights a week and one weekend day. Plan to order the kit in the morning along with some sheet metal tools. I guess I need to begin work preparing the basement for the project. I am having to give up my 67 Camaro for space.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Default Welcome!

Welcome to VAF - you are in the right place and I know you chose the right aircraft! Get ready for a great journey!
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2022

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Welcome!

Hey Chad welcome to the RV-8 brotherhood. Get ready for a great adventure

YOL BOLSON !!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Hi Chad and welcome.

I'm located in Murphy, NC. About 3 hours from Nashville. I've just started an 8a build. Empennage finished. Wings ordered (all standard build). My second time around. Built, flew and sold an RV-10.

It's an amazing adventure. You'll meet a lot of interesting people and learn an awful lot about yourself over the course of the project. Having family backing, and learning when to stop obsessing on the build (and focus on them), will make the journey a lot more fun.

Feel free to give me a call anytime, or to come by if you're ever in the area.

Tom Hanaway
561-702-5456
Tomhanaway1@gmail.com
repeat offending-8A N116TP-Now Flying
based in Copperhill, TN 1A3
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM

Well almost mid November and my tools arrived. Word is my kit will not make it till after Thanksgiving. Kind of depressing.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Organize the shop

It seems there's always something you can do to make your shop more functional. Order lead times can be a great opportunity to prep your "facilities" so you can be more productive when the parts arrive.

I also have a 67 Camaro, but can honestly say I haven't touched it since I took the plunge into RV building and flying. You'll never look back.

M
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foka4 View Post
It seems there's always something you can do to make your shop more functional. Order lead times can be a great opportunity to prep your "facilities" so you can be more productive when the parts arrive.

I also have a 67 Camaro, but can honestly say I haven't touched it since I took the plunge into RV building and flying. You'll never look back.

M
Second this. Find some RV builders nearby and learn about setting up a smart work shop. It would amaze you how much time is wasted looking for this or that. Also, consider buying two of certain tools. Maybe drill motors, Cleko pliers, etc. Being able to quickly make quick production will keep you motivated, your family off your back (when this takes 3 years versus 6), and improve your odds of ending up with a finished plane.

Also, depending on age, interests, etc. you might consider trying to get your kids involved in the build. My girls had a table with a lot of drawing and coloring supplies in my work shop. They'd draw and talk to me while I worked. Wish I had pics or videos of that...

Last edited by Low Pass : 11-14-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM

So I wonder if I am the only one to ever do this. I ordered my avionics today. I know everyone does this, but I haven't bucked a rivet yet. I won't even have my kit till next week. In all my idle time since prepping the shop, I have drawn out my electrical and avionics system. With a long weekend staring me in the face, I thought I would build up some harness. I am going with the 2 screen Garmin 3x with EIS and autopilot. I included the autopilot head garmin sales for ease of use. (Didn't want to have to mash on the 3x for every single thing, still wrapping my head around having the vertical power run through the 3x for all the circuit protection.). I am also doing the GDL39R and the remote transponder with a pair of GTN650's. Still thinking on the back up instrument.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark chaser View Post
I am also doing the GDL39R and the remote transponder with a pair of GTN650's. Still thinking on the back up instrument.
Just my opinion, so it's worth exactly what you paid for it, but I would seriously consider holding off on the avionics for as long as possible. Just like other technology, you never know when the latest and greatest will hit the scene and trump technology that's just a few years old. At the very least, the time delay could devalue your panel before you've even used it - probably not a concerned with the TSOd stuff (unless buying older, used pieces that may lose manufacturer support). Regardless - wow - what a panel; g3X and 2 650s!

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark chaser View Post
So I wonder if I am the only one to ever do this. I ordered my avionics today. I know everyone does this, but I haven't bucked a rivet yet. I won't even have my kit till next week. In all my idle time since prepping the shop, I have drawn out my electrical and avionics system. With a long weekend staring me in the face, I thought I would build up some harness. I am going with the 2 screen Garmin 3x with EIS and autopilot. I included the autopilot head garmin sales for ease of use. (Didn't want to have to mash on the 3x for every single thing, still wrapping my head around having the vertical power run through the 3x for all the circuit protection.). I am also doing the GDL39R and the remote transponder with a pair of GTN650's. Still thinking on the back up instrument.

Chad,
My guess is you already have calculated nearly everything you need to complete your RV in short and efficient order. Get it done and enjoy.
I also had several gages and Whiskey compass before I started my build. Bought here on VAF
Nice to have you here.