Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Default TRIO AVIONICS PRO-PILOT A/P

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Exclamation New and improved!

As an OEM dealer for Trio, we were very excited to see this new A/P introduced at Oshkosh. I had a chance to play with it for a while there, and I was quite impressed. It'll basically do anything you can throw at it, including vertical guidance for a GPS-coupled approach (GPSV). If you can program a route and altitudes into your GPS, it'll follow it all the way to the runway.

One of the best features, in my opinion, is the automatic course reversal. This can be a real life saver. The backup battery will power the unit and both servos for up to 1? hours. Another great feature is the track offset mode. If you're following your course and need to temporarily divert around other traffic or a TFR, etc, you can easily set an offset track, then rejoin the original course with the touch of a button. Very handy!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp1111 View Post
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot
Scott,

I have been flying all the Trio systems for a few years now and have several hours flying the Pro Pilot in my RV-6. The Pro is a very competent system that is fully supported by an enthusiastic and ethical company made up of pilots.

Give the info about the Pro on the Trio web site a good read and rest assured it will perform as advertised. Basically it bundles all the features of the EZ-Pilot and EZ-Hold into one unit that fits in a 3" instrument hole. The Trio servos are state-of-the-art and some of the smartest units available.

I suggest you call the guys at Trio, tell them exactly what you have in your panel, and let them provide their input on how to interface their device with your equipment. They are as honest as the day is long.

Enjoy your new autopilot!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 AM

Ive got about 30 hours on the newly integrated head. Its a wonderful unit, as was the old one. They are still in Beta but as I fly along crossing the country these past few weeks, the new head is doing wonderfully.
They are making sure everything is right before making it GA (Generally available).
The new AIRINC interface is still being worked but its in the unit. I have it wired to my GRT HX waiting for the firmware to be released.

I managed to flight test the servos to -14dF the other day. Worked great.

Trio has been a solid company for years now and you wont find a better supported product or group of people. They have become friends.

Best,
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
... They are still in Beta...
Update to that, they are shipping now, see http://www.trioavionics.com/ProPilot.htm.

Which is why I have a WTB post over in Classifieds for a EZ Pilot head, if anyone is taking one out for a Pro Pilot upgrade.

--Paul
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM

Default Trio altitude hold

If anyone took out a Trio altitude hold system to install the Pro pilot I am interested in it.

The Pro Pilot is a nice addition to their product line.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Default Thanks

Everyone, I appeciate your input in this matter. Everyone is very good on here and Im glad to be a member of a great community to be abe to just come out and ask fellow RV ERS what they think of a product before I dump cash into it.

THANKS!!!!!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM

I have a chance to pick up a Pro Pilot used at a decent price. Is this still considered a quality unit to install?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Great autopilot

I installed one in my RV-7A 5 yrs ago and it is still going strong. I just sent it back to be updated for GPSS and GPSV since I will be flying IFR and it is now coupled to my Garmin GTN 625. Before that, I was using the serial data from my Garmin portable to fly my routes. The unit does a ton of stuff and the customer service at Trio is top notch.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Having flown behind a Cessna/ARC analog autopilot for many years, I cannot get over what a huge performance increase there is with the Trio Pro (and, I presume, other modern systems). It flies approaches like it's on a train track. A few options to look at (either if your used system has them, or if you want to upgrade it (talk to Trio)):
GPSS/GPSV (with this, a suitable GPS will give turn anticipation commands, fly holding patterns, etc): Useful if you have a Garmin 400/500/650 or similar gps navigator.
Auto Trim: useful if you have (or want to install) electric trim, and plan on changing configurations with the autopilot in control (for example, I can start in level flight at 160 KTAS with the autopilot on; retard the throttle and slow the airplane, start down the GS, add flaps; disconnect the autopilot at 200 'AGL, full flaps, 75 KIAS, and the plane will be in trim).