Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
I think that is correct. The aileron is reflexed up, and it looks like the wingtip was made for a zero-reflex position of the aileron.
Ok. I don’t have my plans here and don’t remember if the jig rigs the aileron neutral or reflexed. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comment.
Miss March 2020
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I think that is correct. The aileron is reflexed up, and it looks like the wingtip was made for a zero-reflex position of the aileron.
Dues Paid - Gladly!

Last edited by sjarrell : 08-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrell View Post
If you are saying these instructions align the aileron so that they correspond to the 0° flap position, then your interpretation of these instructions is not correct.

The neutral position of the bell crank template and the aileron template is for the cruise position of the aileron, which is reflexed, -3° as is the flap.

I don't know what the posters problem with his zip tips are, but they should align with the ailerons when they are in the reflex (cruise) position. Same as his 10.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com

Last edited by n982sx : 08-09-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
If you are saying these instructions align the aileron so that they correspond to the 0° flap position, then your interpretation of these instructions is not correct.

The neutral position of the bell crank template and the aileron template is for the cruise position of the aileron, which is reflexed, -3° for the flap.

I don't know what the posters problem with his zip tips are, but they should align with the ailerons when they are in the reflex position.
Don't confuse Ziptips with winglets same manufacturer but very different. This is my 3rd set of tips the others were all Ziptips and worked out fine. They take some tweaking to get them lined up before you drill for nuplates but they work. The Winglet, I assume because it gets relative wind is much thinker and stiffer. Once fitted in the the end of the wing it doesn't want to budge. All the tips I installed so far were on a -10 and all worked out great. In one of the pics i removed my -10 tip and put it on the -14 and that worked.

Speaking with Van's and Aveo now looking for a solution... everyone is looking for an answer and we will have one soon. Your input and ideas are invaluable in this process, thanks for taking your time to help out. I'd rather be building also.

Dues paid 2021
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
...I don't know what the posters problem with his zip tips are, but they should align with the ailerons when they are in the reflex (cruise) position. Same as his 10.
Thanks Bob. The following screenshots and photos should very clearly show the issue. With the RV-14 to establish the neutral position of the ailerons you use an alignment bracket W-00026. This eliminates any guesswork.

As you can see from the third image we have this bracket in place, and you can see the gap that exists. The last photo shows the actual measurement of the differences in the trailing edges of the aileron and the wingtip in the aileron neutral position.

As Rodney has said a couple of times, these winglet wingtips are different than the standard Aveo wingtips as they're over twice as thick, hence they can't be manhandled into place like the standard ones can. He has installed two sets already so he's painfully aware of the differences in the two types of tips and the 10 and 14 installations.

It's obvious that Aveo did NOT match the winglet tips up to a 14 wing using the W-00025 alignment brackets. I'm guessing that they "assumed" the 14's wing's ailerons were aligned like the 10 and used the same molds, and also failed to consider there's virtually any give to the much thicker winglet tips.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words so the following should be worth more than I can type here!

Dues Paid - Gladly!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Default W-00026 Bracket Installation

Here's a picture of the W-00026 aileron alignment bracket installation:

Dues Paid - Gladly!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrell View Post
Here's a picture of the W-00026 aileron alignment bracket installation:

Steve,

It is totally obvious from your photo that the alignment template is establishing a "neutral" position that is reflexed 3 degrees TE up.

Just set a straight edge on the wing skin spanning the aileron hinge on both upper and lower surface and you will see it.

Obviously the winglet manufacturer didn't build the winglet-tips with that reflex included.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 08-10-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Obviously the winglet manufacturer didn't build the winglet-tips with that reflex included.
Maybe but not necessarily......

Even the standard vans wing tips have enough flexibility that they can be installed with the trailing edge not aligned with the T.E. of the aileron.
That is why the manual specifies that the aileron be locked in the proper neutral position and then the wing tip positioned to match it.

Now if the tips being discussed have a lighting cavity premolded in that prevents the the leading edge from changing shape slightly is it is pulled into the leading edge of the wing, then I would agree that the tips are shaped wrong.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Steve,

On my 14, with Van's wingtips, I had to man handle them into place a very small amount. I attributed this to the molding process variability and the fit was easily made perfect.

I wasn't sure from your first posts pictures what was actually the cause of the gap, manufacturing error or your aileron alignment. Having given your posts a good look again, the aileron positioning appears correct so I am as surprised at the gap as you are.

As you know, the 14 and 10 wing geometry are the same, so the manufacturing of the wing tips should be the same for both. Your comparison to the 10 wing tip does seem to show a marked difference that should not be there.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 PM

Thanks Scott and Bob;

And therein lies the problem.... yes, you can "adjust" the standard Van's tips AND the Aveo standard "non-winglet" tips as there is enough give that you can adjust them. The issue with the Aveo winglet tips is that they're over twice as thick and MUCH more rigid so they can't be flexed to adjust to the angle of the ailerons.

As far as I can tell (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) we're the first installers to actually fit the RV-10 or RV-14 Aveo WINGLET tips. IMO these pictures show beyond any shadow of a doubt there's a definite issue with the fitment of the Aveo winglet wing tips to the RV-10 or RV-14.
Dues Paid - Gladly!