VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2021, 09:29 PM
Foam-the-runway's Avatar
Foam-the-runway Foam-the-runway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 59
Default RV-14 builders that have built other RV's

Curious to hear from RV-14 builders that have built other RV's. How would you compare the process?
__________________
1978 C-172N
Toolbox kit
Airfoil kit
3 x EAA workbenches
Haven't decided which RV to build yet.
Assembling tools att...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam-the-runway View Post
Curious to hear from RV-14 builders that have built other RV's. How would you compare the process?
Day and night.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2021, 09:43 PM
GimpyPilot GimpyPilot is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Southern California
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam-the-runway View Post
Curious to hear from RV-14 builders that have built other RV's. How would you compare the process?
The answer to this question has been well documented in more than one thread on these very forums, and explained on the Van's website.
__________________
________
Michael K.
RV-7A
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2021, 12:40 AM
Foam-the-runway's Avatar
Foam-the-runway Foam-the-runway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Day and night.
Did you have to do any size matching of the holes? They say the -14 is supposed to be final sized holes. I ask because I seen a video of a gentleman drilling and deburring on his -14 kit. Thanks for any info...
__________________
1978 C-172N
Toolbox kit
Airfoil kit
3 x EAA workbenches
Haven't decided which RV to build yet.
Assembling tools att...

Last edited by Foam-the-runway : 07-13-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2021, 08:25 AM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam-the-runway View Post
Did you have to do any size matching of the holes? They say the -14 is supposed to be final sized holes. I ask because I seen a video of a gentleman drilling and deburring on his -14 kit. Thanks for any info...
The fuselage is all punched to the size unless it was by design to allow for a better fit. But other shared parts such as wing or portion of the emponoge needs to be matched drilled much like other kits.

One big difference with other models is the quality of the plans and instructions. The other major difference is the canopy portion which uses all riveted parts for the canopy frame which is much more precises and easier to create a canopy that fits superbly, not to mention the canopy itself comes in two pieces which requires minimal adjustments.

One other advantage with the RV14 kit is that most parts are already included and requires less shopping/searching for parts. It comes with some wiring harness but I have not used those as it was easier for me to run my own wires that fits my application.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2021, 09:16 AM
mturnerb mturnerb is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 1,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam-the-runway View Post
Did you have to do any size matching of the holes? They say the -14 is supposed to be final sized holes. I ask because I seen a video of a gentleman drilling and deburring on his -14 kit. Thanks for any info...
Some parts are carried over from other models (tail mostly), some are sized to be final or match drilled due to need for fitting. Most fuse/wing skins are final-size drilled.
__________________
Turner Billingsley

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 AM
Foam-the-runway's Avatar
Foam-the-runway Foam-the-runway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 59
Default

Thanks, that makes it much clearer. Some match sizing is required on some parts still...
__________________
1978 C-172N
Toolbox kit
Airfoil kit
3 x EAA workbenches
Haven't decided which RV to build yet.
Assembling tools att...

Last edited by Foam-the-runway : 07-13-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2021, 01:14 PM
rvbuilder2002's Avatar
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 9,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
The fuselage is all punched to the size unless it was by design to allow for a better fit. But other shared parts such as wing or portion of the emponoge needs to be matched drilled much like other kits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Some parts are carried over from other models (tail mostly), some are sized to be final or match drilled due to need for fitting. Most fuse/wing skins are final-size drilled.
Most of the shared parts in the RV-14 kit are parts that are common with the RV-10. The RV-10 kit has been in a process of being updated to final sized holes so many if not all of those common parts used on the RV-14 are now punched to final size.

This can be tested on any part by checking whether an appropriate rivet size can be inserted into a rivet hole in the part. If the rivet goes in the hole is the correct final size. If not, it needs to be final drilled.
__________________
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Foam-the-runway's Avatar
Foam-the-runway Foam-the-runway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Houston
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Most of the shared parts in the RV-14 kit are parts that are common with the RV-10. The RV-10 kit has been in a process of being updated to final sized holes so many if not all of those common parts used on the RV-14 are now punched to final size.

This can be tested on any part by checking whether an appropriate rivet size can be inserted into a rivet hole in the part. If the rivet goes in the hole is the correct final size. If not, it needs to be final drilled.
Excellent information!...Still better than having to do it all.
__________________
1978 C-172N
Toolbox kit
Airfoil kit
3 x EAA workbenches
Haven't decided which RV to build yet.
Assembling tools att...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.