Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2020, 04:41 PM

Default RV-12 and RV-12iS Service Publication Updates dated October 6 2020

Every now and then things need to come in batches!

We’ve published a number of RV-12/12iS service/documentation updates to the Van's web site. They include some revised plans pages, two new service letters, one new service bulletin, one revised service bulletin, and a number of other key document revisions:

For the RV-12 with 912ULS engines, please refer to new Service Bulletin SB-00026 and related documentation updates (below) regarding retaining plates for carburetor springs on 912ULS engines. The SB requires inspection and installation of a new part at or before the next condition inspection, to prevent potential unacceptable spring wear on the carb throttle shaft. The RV-12 Maintenance Manual is the latest update, and as such applicable to all owners/operators of the original RV-12, of course.
  • RV-12 SB-00026 (new)
  • RV-12 SB 18-03-06 (revised to include reference and requirement to comply with SB-00026)
  • RV-12/12iS Section 49U
  • RV-12 Section 50
  • RV-12 Maintenance Manual (MM)

We have also published a service letter allowing the installation of finger-grip knobs RV-12 vent assembly, which can make it easier to open and close the air vents. Note that these have been available in new RV-12 kits for several months, and this document allows existing SLSA airplane owners/operators to install them and remain compliant.

We published updated RV-12iS documents and assembly instructions related to the use of the updated GTN 650xi IFR NAV/COM radio (often called the IFR Avionics package) and other related components. Note that these most recent FTS/PAP/MM/POH documents are, of course, applicable to all customers operating an RV-12iS.
  • RV-12iS Flight Test Supplement (FTS) (updated)
  • RV-12iS Production Acceptance Procedure (PAP) (updated)
  • RV-12iS Maintenance Manual (MM) (updated)
  • RV-12iS Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) (updated)
  • RV-12iS Sections 42PiS, 42MiS, 53BiS

Service Letter SL-00024 was published along with related updates to RV-12/12iS Maintenance Manual and other connected plans pages/documents, specifying the need and requirement to perform a dynamic balance of the ground-adjustable pitch propeller at the next condition inspection or sooner, and any time the prop pitch is changed.
  • SL-00024
  • RV-12iS Production Acceptance Procedure (PAP) (updated)
  • RV-12 Production Acceptance Procedure (PAP) (updated)

Updates have been made to the RV-12/12iS Plans Sections to ensure excess thread-locking fluid is not used when addressing trim servo issues/maintenance
  • RV-12iS/RV-12 common Section 11iS-U

Plans pages changes have been published for the RV-12iS related to our change from Garmin's GMC 307 to the GMC 507 Autopilot Control Module (new part and design). Related wire harness drawing updates were also recently published on our Suport Downloads page.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 10-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Service Letter SL-00024 was published along with related updates to RV-12/12iS Maintenance Manual and other connected plans pages/documents, specifying the need and requirement to perform a dynamic balance of the ground-adjustable pitch propeller at the next condition inspection or sooner, and any time the prop pitch is changed.
Does this mean that I need to do this before I have the DAR come out for the initial E-LSA AW inspection? Or will I be good?.. and can fly to a shop that has dynamic balancing equipment after the AW cert? (i don't think the local shop on my airfield does balancing)
Dues paid 2020
Old 10-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Throttle Spring Retainer VA-00276

Greetings,

Please make the retainer part number VA-00276 available to order online.
It currently cannot be found or ordered online.

Thanx,

Mike Clark
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark.whidbey@gmail.com View Post
Please make the retainer part number VA-00276 available to order online.
It currently cannot be found or ordered online.
It's searchable now - you can search for "VA-00276" on the web store home page. It will come up in the search results and is available for order.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
Does this mean that I need to do this before I have the DAR come out for the initial E-LSA AW inspection? Or will I be good?.. and can fly to a shop that has dynamic balancing equipment after the AW cert? (i don't think the local shop on my airfield does balancing)
You should complete the dynamic prop balance at your first opportunity. Your DAR should not require the Service Letter be completed to issue the airworthiness certificate. We'll take a second look at the language of our service letter, as well. Prop balancing is not often practical to have completed prior to the first flight, due to circumstances such as yours, but it should be done as soon as you are able since setting the initial pitch is technically considered a change. A dynamic balance can make a real difference and can result in a significantly smoother running/feeling engine and will help prevent vibration-induced damage over time, as well as potential vibration-related electronics issues that can occur at any time.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 10-08-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:49 PM

Given that the prop blades must be removed at each conditional inspection to check the torque of the hub, does each condition inspection constitute a "change" and repeat dynamic balance? Does re-installing the blades to the same pitch as "last time" suffice to avoid the requirement to balance again?

I have spoken with two shops that do dynamic balancing, but they were leery of working on the 912, due to the reduction gearing. Do you have any technical references we can use to help such shops to accomplish a dynamic balance?

Thanks in advance,
-dbh
RV-12 #0760
Dues paid through 6-2021
Old 10-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhill916 View Post
Given that the prop blades must be removed at each conditional inspection to check the torque of the hub, does each condition inspection constitute a "change" and repeat dynamic balance? Does re-installing the blades to the same pitch as "last time" suffice to avoid the requirement to balance again?
I'll be interested in the answer to this question. Very costly to dynamic balance prop every year...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 10-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Yes, I absolutely agree that balancing is worth the effort.. for comfort and for engine life.. and I did plan on flying out somewhere to do it after Phase I. Just trying to get through the DAR process without getting jammed up on anything.
Dues paid 2020
Old 10-08-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhill916 View Post
-dbh
Fortunately for the newer propellers, the Sensenich ICA doesn't require removing the blades during the annual inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensenich propeller ICA Apr 2019.pdf
Views:	147
Size:	603.5 KB
ID:	3200  
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 10-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtens View Post
Fortunately for the newer propellers, the Sensenich ICA doesn't require removing the blades during the annual inspection.
That's it then, I just need to buy a new propellor for a couple of thou...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 633

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H