What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What am I missing

johnr9q

Cost of Airframe Kits (everything ready to fly except the engine and avionics/communication system)

RV-12 $23,785

CH-650 $19,500

Sonex $17,195

I tried to compare apples to apples but maybe someone can point out to me that I errored. In all my investigations I assumed that the Sonex was so much cheaper than the other 2 but there is only a $6600 difference between the most expensive (RV-12) and the cheapest (Sonex). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you get a lot more airplane with the RV-12 and CH-650 and they aren't that much more expensive.

It's even closer when you consider what you get with the 12! Just about everything. It's also a much quicker build since most of the holes are already drilled to size and very little deburring is needed.

Grab a friend and sit in them all together. The Sonex is very tight. Of course a VW engine is cheaper than Rotax and you'd be hard pressed to get a 10" Skyview screen in the Sonex.

The CH650 has a larger range of engine options, but you still need to figure it all out. Every wire run is planned and laid out in the plans. This will make the build much faster.

The 12 is an evolving design. It just keeps getting better and easier to build.

But then again - this is a 12 forum! :D

Bob

Don't forget to add the cost of the premade spars and angle kit to the Sonex kit. As a builder of both, the RV kit is superior. The fit and finish of the sonex fiberglass parts is poor,,, often overlooked too is the poor resale value of all sonex products,you get what u pay for,,

Don't forget to add the cost of the premade spars and angle kit to the Sonex kit. As a builder of both, the RV kit is superior. The fit and finish of the sonex fiberglass parts is poor,,, often overlooked too is the poor resale value of all sonex products,you get what u pay for,,

Agreed. I saw a couple Sonex/Waiex on Barnstormers the other day and was suprised at the asking prices. Granted they fly nice and have some aerobatic ability, but the engine options and fit & finish doesnt come close to a -12. When it comes to an engine choice for an LSA, I'll take a 912(s) any day over the VW, Jabiru, or Corvair.

Back