- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Museum Month

December in Mid Atlantic. Outside temperature often below freezing. What to do? Not much local flying activity this time of the year. Let's make December a Museum Month! How many museums can I visit before New Year Ball drops on Times Square?

MAAM at Reding is open today. It's not far away and I've never been there. Lots of interesting stuff to see I've heard. Gassed up, preflight and up we go. RV and I.

Air is stable visibility so so. Not many aircrafts in the air perfect training day for a tower controller. I am lining up with active runway to ease his workload and making a call just before entering Delta airspace. Nothing should be easy on training day, get a code first experimental.

Now go straight in runway 31 clear to land.

What's your destination Sir? Museum ramp. Proceed via x right on y left on z said the trainee... I read back all the instructions without much thought I've looked over the airport diagram before, it's super simple... and I landed longer to meet that taxiway... A second (stern) voice from the tower corrected which taxiway to use I felt a bit ashamed. It's age and a deficit of attention

Mid-Atlantic Museum has its own ramp and you can park by the entrance for free. Kind of cool to be on the ramp with all those airplanes. There is an FBO next to it and they charge a symbolic fee so I saved myself a whopping $8 for admissions.

This Yankee came all the way from Green Bay WI and they already finished touring the Museum. I was the only visitor.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Joe was my guide and let me tell you he is the best I've ever had!

He told me the story of a Black Widow under restoration. She will be airworthy soon.

A lot of riveting is already done on her.

Mighty B-25 they are selling rides during summer months.

This engine is a kind of big for RV.

There is a planemobile and a very interesting pusher airplane with channel wings. I will come again when weather is nice just to look over it again.

There is a giant impressive transport parked outside. Faded insignia says - Marine Lumber Co, Nantucket.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Two hours went fast I got the contact and invitation to visit Grimes airfield where Joe and a group of restorers have several projects under way. When grass is green I am in...

Time to depart.

The same tower trainee cleared me to depart from an intersection. Asked about destination but gave me a squawk anyway Great airport and very accommodating people on all levels.

A balloonist near my home field was skirting low because of higher winds upstairs. Usually there are at least four of his colleagues.

An old girl jumped from joy of seeing my RV back.

Reding. Check.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 PM

Vlad,

Love your travel stories, but hate to see your airplane out in the cold. Keep the stories coming I'm always looking forward to your next adventure.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 AM

Great museum at Grissom Field in Indiana. Former Air Force Base now open to the public. If you're lucky, you'll be in the pattern with a KC-135, maybe a Warthog. Museum is just off the field, about 1/4 mile walk from FBO. There is also an Army Aviation museum in the FBO building.
2015 =VAF= Contributor
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Default Texas my friend

Vlad,

There are a few museums in Texas?and I can almost guarantee the weather will be warmer down here.

How does that heater work in your 9?

I love to see the pictures and read your stories also.
RV-9 (yes) N369RV
Mattituck IO-360, C/S Whirl Wind Prop, GRT, Digiflight II, Garmin SL30 & GTX 330 and Hotel Whisky Aux tanks, Bla Bla Bla
Flying
Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM

????? When do you get your reality show????? I am pretty sure you could give Honey Boo Boo a run for the money in ratings. Seriously!
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Head to Pensacola...

Where the seafood is excellent, lots of Naval Aviation History, great museum, with a BAR. And it's warm and sunny
RV7 N364SJ Miss Sandy sold
RV1 N1583 "Mockingbird 1" SOLD
EAA volunteer SNF

HBC volunteer/co-chairman OSH
Tech counselor
Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Default flying boxcar

Thanks for the pics. Many years ago I parachuted out of those at Ft. Benning GA. My first 5 jumps were out of those.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Great shots Vlad.

Just a quick question, how do you get your RV to start, given what looks like very cold conditions.

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020