Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g zero View Post
There was a Formation Aerobatic Team , the French Connection ( flew Cap 10s)
A camera was added to one of the planes wingtip and the cable duct taped to the wing going back to the fuselage, changed the stall speed/characteristics . One plane stalled before the pivot turn on a formation hammerhead and hit the other ,ending the French Connection .
Shows that small changes to the airfoil can make a big change in airflow .
This didn't sound right to me so I had to look it up. According to the NTSB report, both aircraft made the hammerhead turn just fine, although the wingman started early and ended up ahead of the leader after the turn. The report also concluded from the camera footage that the camera did not affect airframe performance enough to affect the formation flight.

http://planecrashmap.com/plane/fl/N86KB/
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 AM

Some airfoil shapes are very sensitive to any disruptions. Rutan discovered this with flying into rain with the Vari-eze. Just flying with an accumulation of bugs splattered on the leading edge had some serious affects. There was a Quickie that had a leading edge pinstripe that significantly disrupted the airfoil after being painted. A camera on the wing surface is fairly localized as opposed to being the entire length of the wing, but it can, as Scott points out, a significant disruptor of the airflow. I'm wondering if the unique Roncz airfoil on the -9 is more sensitive than the other models.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2020 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Default can't bend my brain around this

and would love to hear some aerodynamicists weigh in. My first roadblock to acceptance is in trying to imagine that an object capable of disrupting such a small % of span-wise flow on one wing could change stall characteristics so drastically. I can't make myself picture it. Guess I'll wait for the yarn tuft video

Secondly, I can't grasp how an asymmetrical change that raised overall stall speed by almost 25% didn't produce a violent spin entry as stall was approached. The modified wing would had to have let go long before the other. Scott describes not wanting to explore the stall, even armed with a large rudder, and I understand the reluctance (!) but this would be a situation of Russian proportions: "In Go-Pro motherland, stall explores you!"

My brain's refusal to believe what is posted is no one's problem but my own. No flames. But I just can't comprehend how this happened as described - and would love a sound explanation of the mystery. Have skin in the game since I've taped a Contour to my wing and empennage many a time with no untoward effects and want to keep doing so without hurting myself.

-Stormy
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
There was a Quickie that had a leading edge pinstripe that significantly disrupted the airfoil after being painted.
Interesting, Bruce. Van's also makes a point in the preview plans about paint seams near the leading edge?making sure there's not too much of a "step" in paint thickness.

I think I'll limit the GoPros on my first flight to inside the canopy!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM

How do you like your drift ghost
Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
I think I'll limit the GoPros on my first flight to inside the canopy!
I think that is a great idea for sure.
Flying N376E
Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Default bottom of the wing

Mounting a camera and other airflow disturbing device is much safer when done on the underside of the wing.
http://www.n91cz.com/
Old 11-27-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Airshow pilots have been advised by various FAA personnel that any addition of cameras to the aircraft exterior must be logged and flight tested in and out of phase 1.
Mike im interested to hear more about this. What the procedure the FAA is reccomending on an experimental if you already have your AWC? I personally have 6 different cammera positions that I can play w/ 3 at a time...some external, some internal...
2020 MX2 New Kit Position (Sold at OSH to Team RV Member)
2009 Team Rocket F1 (Sold)
2008 MXS Green Slime"(Sold)
2007 MX2 Patches" (Sold)
1999 Giles 202 "Primal Fear/Perucho" (Sold)
1965 PA32-260 "God Bless America" (Sold)
2003 RV6 "Airhawk One" (Sold)
Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 AM

Thumbs down wingtip

I put my go pro on the upper surface of the fiberglass tip with no noticeable effect. I used the standard base and swivels in the waterproof housing.

Don